MAC OS X: Forum

Imac Slow After OS Upgrade to Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shivadas M. NarayinanImac Slow After OS Upgrade to Mavericks
by on Oct 8, 2015 at 9:47:29 am

Hello,

I updated my Imac software (mid 2010) model from Mountain Lion to Mavericks earlier this year.

Ever since then my Imac has slowed down tremendously. It takes double time to open anything, even something as simple as new Finder window.

When I open Final Cut Pro 7, it takes time to open but once it's opened it runs smoothly.

Sometime in April I signed up for Adobe Creative Cloud service as well. I have installed basic softwares such as Premiere Pro CC, Photoshop CC, After Effects CC, Adobe Illustrator CC & Adobe Media Encoder CC. All of them are up to their most recent update. However, when I open any one of them, they take atleast about 10 minutes to fully open up with all their functions. And when I'm running one of the apps, in my case mostly Premiere, it lags so much and so badly even when I'm doing a simple scrolling through footage or basic color correction.

I'm really loosing my mind here with this. I have asked people around and read up a little on the net. The most common answer to this problem seems to be my RAM. It is currently 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3. I thought of purchasing a new Imac, but money is an issue.

Is my RAM the major contributor to the cause of all my Imac's problems? Really looking forward for a wise guru to advise me on this.

Thank you.

-shiva-

Return to posts index

John RofranoRe: Imac Slow After OS Upgrade to Mavericks
by on Oct 17, 2015 at 2:10:50 pm

[Shivadas M. Narayinan] "Is my RAM the major contributor to the cause of all my Imac's problems? Really looking forward for a wise guru to advise me on this. "
4GB of RAM is quite small for today's applications. Adobe Creative Cloud lists 4GB as the minimum configuration with 8GB being the recommendation. Usually when a manufacturer sets a recommendation, you want to meet that. Adobe CC is also very intrusive and adds programs that run in the background all the time, even when you'e not using it, and these programs take up memory so this may be contributing to the problems you are seeing.

I would say that adding more memory should definitely improve your situation. I assume what is happening is that because you don't have enough memory, OS X needs to access the swap file on your hard drive to move memory around and make room for new programs to run. Because hard drives are much slower to access than RAM, this causes the slow load times that you are seeing.

Adding more memory should minimize swapping to disk and improve overall system performance.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]