MAC OS X: Forum

Sharing large files between two Mac Pros

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher TargiaSharing large files between two Mac Pros
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 1:59:09 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum; if not, mods please move it.

I currently have a RAID6 storage tower with miniSAS connection, it has 500-700mb/s read/write speeds. Currently I work alone, and do not need share anything. My company is hiring another video editor to work with me and we need to be able to have access to each others files to edit. I have the computers networked together through CAT6, and assumed the speed would be pretty fast; however, I am getting speeds of approx 80-90mb/s. That really isn't ideal for editing. Is there a better way to do this? I know I can get a NAS but wouldn't that still bottleneck at 90mb/s? I have tried linking the computer together through a gigabit switch, and also by even connecting a ethernet cable from one computer to the other. Is there a better way to do this?

================================================
MacPro 4,1 Dual Quad-Core Intel 2.26Ghz, 16GB DDR3 Ram
FCP 7.0.3
-I highly recommend el Gato Turbo264HD-

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Sharing large files between two Mac Pros
by on Sep 10, 2015 at 5:43:42 pm

Theoretically you could get a long 300ft Thunderbolt cable and run it between two macs for faster speeds. El Capitan might be required for that to work correctly. Bob Zelin would know.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Bob ZelinRe: Sharing large files between two Mac Pros
by on Sep 30, 2015 at 10:47:01 pm

yes, you need to contact me. I will show you how to do everything.
You need to setup a server (just a mac) to share your RAID 6 drive array between 2 computers. It's cheap and easy to do this. And you already own most everything to make this happen.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]