MAC OS X: Forum

iMac or Mac Pro for photo + video editing?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed LefkowicziMac or Mac Pro for photo + video editing?
by on Jun 22, 2015 at 7:52:02 pm

I've got an old Mac Pro with 8GB of RAM, running OS X 10.7.5, and which I can't upgrade to Yosemite. Using it for photo (mostly) and video editing, and currently using an Apple cinema display alongside an Eizo monitor.

I'm trying to figure out whether a new iMac with 32GB of RAM will do the trick or whether I should go with a Mac Pro, same RAM, but 2 video cards. (I have no plans to render 3-D, btw.) Any user experience with the iMac, any issues with overheating with intensive video use?

ed Lefkowicz - photography
creative photography for creatives
advertising / editorial / publicity
http://www.lefkowicz.com

Return to posts index

Frank LombardiRe: iMac or Mac Pro for photo + video editing?
by on Oct 19, 2015 at 5:06:17 pm

Larry Jordan has done some speed tests with both hardware and video compression software. Take a look at some of his findings, and maybe you can make a more informed decision.

Start with watching the PLAY DEMO video in this link:

https://larryjordan.com/store/162-faster-video-compression/

Within the video, Larry references a link to more articles related to the same topic.

Hope this helps.

Frank

Return to posts index

Ed LefkowiczRe: iMac or Mac Pro for photo + video editing?
by on Oct 19, 2015 at 5:49:06 pm

Frank,

Many thanks for this! Very helpful, and not a little surprising. And the new iMacs just released appear to be faster still, and offer ore RAM.

Ed

ed Lefkowicz - photography
creative photography for creatives
advertising / editorial / publicity
http://www.lefkowicz.com

Return to posts index

Frank LombardiRe: iMac or Mac Pro for photo + video editing?
by on Oct 19, 2015 at 6:35:31 pm

Yes indeed they do, Ed.

I don't know if it's just my old-school feelings about a Mac Pro and its expandability, but about a year and a half ago I bought the last silver tower-style Mac Pro, 6 core, 3.33 GHz. I upgraded to 32 GB of RAM, swapped in a Mac version of the Nvidia GTX 680, and run everything on a separate drive… SSD for apps, 1 HD for Media, 1 HD for Output, and another SSD as a scratch drive.

I wish I knew where my machine stood in todays standard of what constitutes a "fast/powerful" machine, but I know one thing… prior to this I ran an earlier silver iMac, 27" 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo with 8GB of RAM, and one drive. It was a terrific machine… until one day it wasn't. That was when I got to the point of doing multi-cam editing, and started learning After Effects. With the RAM maxed out, I felt I simply hit the "wall" with that machine. Perhaps I could've added a RAID array of drives, but beyond that, my upgrading options were limited.

I suppose now, with the new Mac Pro's lesser ability to be internally upgraded, much like an iMac, the choices lie in the "brass tax" info that Larry Jordan is putting out there.

Glad I could be a little help.

Cheers,
Frank

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]