MAC OS X: Forum

Late 2013 27-inch iMac OS Freezes

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel ArenaLate 2013 27-inch iMac OS Freezes
by on May 12, 2015 at 8:44:36 pm

Hello,

I work for a small Post Production house in New York City. We edit on iMacs and MacPros

We have 2 iMacs that the OS will freeze. It will freeze when the CPU is around 140 degrees. This will happen when the editor is rendering or editing.

Here are the specs:

iMac 27-inch, Late 2013
Processor 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4096 MB
Software OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Thank You.

-Daniel

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Late 2013 27-inch iMac OS Freezes
by on May 12, 2015 at 11:47:44 pm

HI Daniel, what NLE are you editing with? Also, what are you connecting to a central server with? Or are you working with local Thunderbolt RAIDs?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Daniel ArenaRe: Late 2013 27-inch iMac OS Freezes
by on May 13, 2015 at 2:36:19 pm

Hi John,

We edit on Final Cut 7 and Adobe Premiere Pro CC. The iMacs connect to Terrablock using Thunderbolt breakout box to fiber.

The Freeze occur when the iMacs are online and off line of the Terrablock.

-Daniel

Return to posts index

Marc KerrRe: Late 2013 27-inch iMac OS Freezes
by on May 13, 2015 at 3:21:22 pm

I've got the same model of iMac that will shutdown for no apparent reason, I think heat is the actual issue in my case. It may not be the issue in yours but to check run some other apps, not FCP and Premier, and get it up the same temp you noted and see if the issue occurs again.

Maybe you know all this and have checked. I'm new here so forgive me this one time.
Also check About This Mac > System Report > Diagnostics. Then in the same System Report look at Memory. The Diagnostics may tell you about any hardware issues that occurs at startup. Memory may tell you if you have any bad RAM. You might also try Apple Diagnostics. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

Log files are very often unintelligible but might provide a clue to which app is causing the freeze, if it's software related. Note the exact time, including seconds if you can, of the freeze. After restarting look in /Applications/Utilities/ and run Console. Check All Messages under System Log Queries. Scroll back to the time the freeze happened. If you forced a restart you should see a "bootlog: BOOT_TIME" entry for the restart or something similar. The info before that point may tell you which app did something stupid. If it looks like a particular app try working the machine without that app for a while. If all goes well then bring in the possible offending app and see how things go.

Return to posts index

by on May 13, 2015 at 4:29:05 pm

One of the iMac found nothing in the Apple Diagnostics check. The other one wont even do it! The Apple Diagnostics crashed!

Return to posts index

Marc KerrRe: Late 2013 27-inch iMac OS Freezes
by on May 14, 2015 at 12:37:56 pm

Reset NVRAM (Zap PRAM) https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Then if the Diagnostic still isn't working the next step I'd do is a full rebuild. Boot to recovery mode, wipe the drive then reinstall the OS. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

I'd also reinstall apps instead of trying to restore them from TimeMachine. Restoring apps will just being back what ever corrupted bits that caused the problem to begin with. Or if it's under warranty have Apple check it out.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Late 2013 27-inch iMac OS Freezes
by on May 13, 2015 at 3:45:07 pm

I've found freezing issues with Adobe rendering to NFS connected servers, but that's all I have :(.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

by on May 14, 2015 at 8:38:31 pm

are you connected via Thunderbolt?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]