MAC OS X: Forum

Need a new mac but want to know what I should get now???

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith DuBoseNeed a new mac but want to know what I should get now???
by on Apr 21, 2015 at 4:11:53 pm

I have an Imac OSX 10.5.8. It still works but all support for it is pretty much gone and it apparently affects my internet connections badly (even with the new comcast router I bought).

I want to keep my old one since it has programs I still use. But I do agree that I need something new. The problem is everything has become digital now.

I'm just gonna say it right now. I still burn DVD's and would love (more than anything) to put my projects onto Bluray. I tried using external bluray drives for my old mac but none would support the old system I have. Only the newer ones.

After visiting the Apple Store and asking questions, the guy pretty much made it clear that if I got a new Yosemite anything, everything on them is pretty much programmed for digital. Final Cut, Adobe, you name it. Whereas all my friends are advising me that these digital versions are not good and that i'm better off sticking with the actual software from before.

But this raises the question. Can I get the new Mac products, and still be able to use the actual older programs of Final Cut, Adobe, Hitfilm, and possible utilize a BluRay/DVD burner for my needs??

And if so, what product(s) should I look into. I want to make sure I understand everything before I pull the trigger on anything. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Need a new mac but want to know what I should get now???
by on Apr 22, 2015 at 3:42:56 pm

Kieth, you will probably have to and should, upgrade all your software to run under Yosemite. And yes, most of the new versions are all downloaded. But don't despair, just download and burn them to a disk and you have pretty much the same thing if you need to reinstall quickly due to slow internet links, etc. You'll still need to run an internet connection if you are using Adobe for example to validate. But I've not had any issues myself with this, though you might find some issues.

Another option is to make a mirror backup of your drive, upgrade to the new computer, then run an application like Parallels and use it to run a version of your old Mac OS 10.5.x. that way both will be running and the old software should be able to take advantage of the speed of the new hardware. I use Parallels to run Windows 7 64 bit and it works just fine on my newer iMac.

I use an external blue ray burner on my iMac and it's fine. I use it all the time. For burning labels I use either the Mac or Windows in Parallels depending on the labeling software, Windows has better labeling products available. For actual printing on a DVD label, I have recently bought an Epson Artisan 1430. It has a special tray that finally allows a one off printing of a label accurately, repeatedly.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]