MAC OS X: Forum

Permanently disabling imessage and facetime on my mac pro and macbook pro

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy tolbert
Permanently disabling imessage and facetime on my mac pro and macbook pro
on Mar 25, 2015 at 12:06:54 pm

I have a teenage son whose use of both of these programs is out of hand. Simply disabling in preferences has not worked. I have tried to delete the app but it says it is part of the OS. Does anyone have a way for me to completely disable these programs so he can NOT circumvent me and use them.

All help and ideas appreciated.

AT

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
Re: Permanently disabling imessage and facetime on my mac pro and macbook pro
on Mar 29, 2015 at 7:36:38 pm
Last Edited By John Rofrano on Mar 29, 2015 at 7:37:20 pm

[andy tolbert] "I have a teenage son whose use of both of these programs is out of hand. Simply disabling in preferences has not worked"
Something to keep in mind is that when we were kids, we spend endless hours on the telephone with our parents screaming at us to hang up. Today kids express themselves via texting and video chat. My wife gets concerned by how much my daughter texts but she probably texts no more words than I spoke on the phone for hours when I was young. So don't freak... it's the way kids communicate today. 'nuff said, just putting things in historical perspective. ;-)
[andy tolbert] "I have tried to delete the app but it says it is part of the OS. Does anyone have a way for me to completely disable these programs so he can NOT circumvent me and use them."
I'm not sure if this would work because I'm not about to try it on my own Mac since I Text and FaceTime with my daughter all the time, but I'm pretty sure this will delete them:

Open a Terminal window and type the following:
sudo rm -fr /Applications/FaceTime.app
sudo rm -fr /Applications/Messages.app
As I said, I'm pretty sure that will delete both applications. What the command says is, "As a super user do the following (sudo) remove (rm) these folders recursively (-r) and force (-f) without asking are you sure". You will be prompted for your password to confirm your action. Good luck and let us know if that worked.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

andy tolbert
Re: Permanently disabling imessage and facetime on my mac pro and macbook pro
on Apr 7, 2015 at 5:28:48 pm

Thanks John

Appreciate the words and the steps.

I'll give it a try and see what happens.

AT

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]