MAC OS X: Forum

Secured copies

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan BiglerSecured copies
by on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:53:14 am

Hi everyone,

I thought of sharing my findings and fishing for tips on doing secured copies on Mac OS X. We to TV production, we regularly move footage, from memory cards to SSDs, from SSDs to server, and eventually from server to tape. A project is typically 0.5 - 5 TB in size.

I have been looking for a proper way on Mac OS X Mavericks to copy these files. Here is what I use:

Pomfort - Silverstack
http://pomfort.com/silverstack/
We us it on set, it's really great to offload material, transcode,... one problem is that it's rather costly. A bit too costly to have a licence on all our production machines to use it in post-work. Every copy of the material is logged, and checked.

arRsync
http://arrsync.sourceforge.net/
This is a user interface for good old and reliable Rsync command line utility. It's neat because it's free, simple user interface, and you can choose the level of security (md5 check, or simply size and date), as well as resume a copy. The problem is, it seems to be very resource consuming, and rather slow. Silverstack is really good at reading from one location, and writing on multiple locations, in the equivalent of one copy time. I guess Rsync wasn't designed for files that large. And I heard that the version in Mac OS X is rather outdated.

Davinci Resolve
It does everything ;-) even secured copy, since release 11. It's nice because you can have a free copy on as many machines as you use. It seems to be pretty fast at copying and checking file integrity. My only issue with it, well, it's Resolve. You are to launch a large grading/online solution, to copy a folder... it takes quite a few clicks and loading time until you can start copying.

What I want
A simple utility, that keeps a log of successful and failed copies (even better with an email confirmation). It should have some kind of integrity check. Be fast, and simple. And have a market model that makes it affordable to deploy on multiple machines. Also, it's a plus if we can queue copies, and handle multiple destinations.

What is your experience, what do you use to move TBs of data around your infrastructures?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]