MAC OS X: Forum

Reliable USB3 Hubs for iMac?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett RamseyReliable USB3 Hubs for iMac?
by on Sep 4, 2014 at 11:47:09 am

I am looking for a reliable USB 3 hub (in fact at least 2) for my iMac. I currently lose one port to the Superdrive and need to plug in 4 2TB USB 3 drives, 1 USB Audio Input and an elgato TV tuner.
I also swap in and out 16 GB USB Flash drives which I use to distribute the work to the station.
Any suggestions? I have tried a few but they have all either not worked at all or reverted to USB 2 speeds as soon as I add the tuner and audio.
I've seen a few 7port hubs coming on to the market but I've heard they're not very good.

Brett Ramsey
FCP/Mac hold out in a very PC environment.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Reliable USB3 Hubs for iMac?
by on Sep 6, 2014 at 8:15:51 am

We are happy with anything from satechi on amazon.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Gary HuffRe: Reliable USB3 Hubs for iMac?
by on Sep 6, 2014 at 6:57:33 pm

I have a Anker 7 Port + 1 port charging hub that is almost always connected to my MBPr and it works great. Highly recommended.

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Reliable USB3 Hubs for iMac?
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 1:26:43 pm

My understanding is that the USB will revert to the speed of the slowest device on the bus. A hub merely extends the bus on the iMac that you"re plugged into. I don't know if the different USB 3 ports on the iMac are separate buses or not. On past models they were not.
Depending on your model and it's vintage, there possibly may be a device solution involving use of FireWire or Thunderbolt to create a USB bus separate from the internals.

Return to posts index

Brett RamseyRe: Reliable USB3 Hubs for iMac?
by on Sep 11, 2014 at 10:17:27 pm

Yeah it's only the one bus. Looks like a Thunderbolt dock will be the only way to solve the problem.
Might have to grab one from the States though as the cheapest I can find here is $350.

Brett Ramsey
FCP/Mac hold out in a very PC environment.

Return to posts index

Mitch IvesRe: Reliable USB3 Hubs for iMac?
by on Oct 16, 2014 at 9:31:37 pm

So far we've had good luck with the Iogear SuperSpeed USB 3.0 4-port hub...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]