MAC OS X: Forum

From Powerhouse PC to Macbook Pro???

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter GeorgesFrom Powerhouse PC to Macbook Pro???
by on Sep 1, 2014 at 12:33:30 am

I'm currently a PC + Adobe Creative Cloud user shopping for a new laptop to use for tethered shooting among other things.

Just for context my PC is as follows:
Intel 6 Core 4930k
32Gb RAM
nVidia 780 Ti

I seem to have two options:
1. Get a secondary device such as a Macbook air or Surface Pro 3 and only use it for simple things in the field
2. Replace my PC with a high end laptop (the top spec MBP) and use the laptop for everything

The reason option number 2 is attractive to be honest, is the ability to take my workhorse with me anywhere and to make the switch from Premiere Pro to FCPX. I'd be getting a 1Tb internal SSD drive so I could store all of my current projects on it just fine.

However, I'll be going from a 6 core to a 4 core and losing a huge amount of GPU power (probably in the order of an 80% drop). I am wondering if FCPX and various other bits of Mac software is efficient enough to offset the loss of sheer power?

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: From Powerhouse PC to Macbook Pro???
by on Sep 1, 2014 at 5:49:45 pm

I would say just moving from Windows to OS X would be beneficial enough.

I have the 2013 Retina Macbook Pro and love it. Check out that 34" LG Thunderbolt 2 display to go with it. We have two of those monitors and love them.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Peter GeorgesRe: From Powerhouse PC to Macbook Pro???
by on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:55:43 am

I hadn't seen that monitor, I think I'll be picking that up whether I get the mac or not!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]