MAC OS X: Forum

Migrating to new macbook

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David PowerMigrating to new macbook
by on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:48:16 pm

Hi everyone, my new macbook pro has just arrived and was wondering what the best option for migrating is. Should i do a time machine of my Snow Leopard macbook and then use migration assistant? If yes should i do a full time machine or should i exclude stuff? do i need to include the library? system files? What are my other options? just run my new macbook and manually copy folders i want? i'm really excited about new machine and would like to start playing with it but want to do it the proper way so eagerly awaiting your replies. thank you in advance for your help.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: Migrating to new macbook
by on Aug 10, 2014 at 1:18:15 am

I suggest you copy files manually. Export your contacts as an address book archive, set your email up on the brand new system, make sure you have an iCloud account running (the same one on your iPhone if you have one) and don't forget to set other users up if a wife/child will be using it. Each person should get their own user account w/ separate iCloud account.

Don't forget to just copy your iPhoto library and iTunes library as well.

I always like to set up a new mac fresh. Once iCloud is set up correctly you can bring it into any new mac and you're good. The new Photos app in Yosemite will change how your iPhoto works, but that'll be a good thing if you have a solid internet connection.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Donald KeplerRe: Migrating to new macbook
by on Sep 29, 2014 at 8:12:22 am

Time Machine is a good way to backup data files, folders and third party applications. Moreover, you can use Migration Assistant & Setup Assistant to transfer information for the first time in setting up your Mac. Please update software with the latest version on both source and destination computers and confirm before proceeding further. Once you finished this migration step successfully, don't forget to deauthorize the source computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]