MAC OS X: Forum

External drive / FCP7 / Mpeg Streamclip issues in Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Olivia CurryExternal drive / FCP7 / Mpeg Streamclip issues in Mavericks
by on Jul 17, 2014 at 9:30:08 pm

Hi all,

Trying to figure out the root cause of computer issues I've been having. I have a MacBook Pro (Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, Software OS X 10.9.3 (13D65)) that I have been using to edit video for several years.

Recently the G-Raid external drive I was using seemed to be failing. It wouldn't show up in Finder and things were running slowly when I was trying to edit. I panicked and bought a new Glyph external RAID and managed to transfer the necessary current projects over. My thought was to keep the new RAID as a backup and work off of my smaller portable hard drive.

Of course, I didn't have quite enough room on my littler hard drive for a recent project so I figured I'd work off the Glyph. Brand new, formatted for Mac, all should be good. But as I was transcoding footage using Mpeg streamclip the program kept crashing (this happened on multiple days) unless I did the transcode in really small batches. Once I started editing in FCP7 which I'm still using, some footage looked glitchy in playback even though I believe the original and transcoded files are fine when played in Quicktime. Then FCP would crash occasionally as well.

My question is, could a recent upgrade to Mavericks be the culprit here? At this point I don't think it's the drive itself since similar issues seem to have happened to both the new Glyph and the old G-RAID. Disk utility says the health of the new Glyph is fine, as well as my system hard drive. I would say Final Cut could be the culprit too but it was working fine in Mavericks a few weeks ago plus that doesn't explain Mpeg streamclip's issues. I did hear rumors of weird things going on with external western digital drives and Mavericks upgrade. Should I try to downgrade my system or do you think something else is going on here?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]