MAC OS X: Forum

New Mac Pro Target Display Mode not working.

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Santiago Mouriño
New Mac Pro Target Display Mode not working.
on Apr 5, 2014 at 3:30:39 am

Hi.
I've been dealing with this issue ever since I got my new mac pro two months ago. I've been chatting with reps from Apple, but apparently, "they hadn't been able to replicate this issue", so given the high tech engineers at palo alto are hand tied, I'm running out of options.
So. to the problem itself.
First of all, taking it to tech support is out of the question since the computer was bought in USA, but is no longer there, and at current location the mac pro is not even on the market.

I'm trying to connect a mac pro (late 2013) with an Imac 2011 via thunderbolt and using the imac in Target Display Mode.
Both computers are running 10.9.2. The cable is new and its working since I did the following debugging, using a spare Macbook pro (10.7.5) with thunderbolt .

Mac pro - mac book pro as target disk using same thunderbolt cable -- works
Imac - macbook pro both as target disk and display -- works.
imac and mac pro - both target disk and display - doesn't work
Mac pro - external dvi monitor with mini display adapter --- works

So, my limited conclusion: the thunderbolt port on the mac pro works . the thunderbolt port on the imac works, the cable works. the connection between imac and mac pro is corrupted.

I think It might have to do with something related to mavericks (also tried 10.9.1/ and beta 10.9.3) Being with the imac in between projects I can't afford to go back to a legacy OS.

if there is anyone out there who's gone through this nightmare please let me know your thoughts.. If you havent please do as well...Its really frustrating to go through these kind of issues with a brand new computer that was supposed to be the next best thing (don't get me started)

THANKS.
SPECS MAC PRO
OS 10.9.2
Hardware
3.7GHz quad-core with 10MB of L3 cache
12GB (3x4GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
256GB PCIe-based flash storage
Dual AMD FirePro D300 GPUs with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

SPECS IMAC
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
2 THUNDERBOLT PORTS