MAC OS X: Forum

Windows to Apple conversion

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Zapotocky
Windows to Apple conversion
on Jan 10, 2014 at 8:45:16 pm

Hello All,

We currently use Windows 7 64 bit for video editing with the Adobe Production Premium 5.5 and 6.0. My company is contemplating using Mac computers for video editing and graphics.

I haven't touched a Mac in over 25 years. I'm currently doing research on Apple computers, but any suggestions on a Mac computer for video editing with Adobe CC and where I can purchase them would be great.

Thanks for your help!

Larry

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: Windows to Apple conversion
on Jan 12, 2014 at 8:52:09 am

Larry, you might want to consider really only a couple of options in the Mac world. The iMac 27" fully configured with 2 or 4 GB video card, 16GBs or more of RAM, or the new Mac Pro. Optionally, you might start with a used Mac Pro from the last few years. I currently use both a Win7 machine and a 27" iMac. I'm transitioning to the iMac entirely. I don't know the kind of work your company does, I'm relatively simple, documentary style work. So I don't feel I'm pushing a bunch of boundaries.

I'm using Adobe CC, but have used CS 5.5 and CS 6.0. I personally prefer working in the Mac OS but there are some things to get used to for long time Windows power users. Lots of keystrokes in the OS need to be relearned. Some things are easier some not. Some tools like Directory Compare, a great useful tool in Windows, needs to be changed out for other tools. On the other hand, the Mac OS has tons of tools available.

Al

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Jan 15, 2014 at 8:41:12 pm

Thanks for the info Al. 90% of our video will be HD. We produce a daily news show, a 30 minute news magazine, commercials and other types of corporate videos for clients of different sorts.

Do you find the editing on the Mac is "smoother" or any better than Windows?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the main reason you are transitioning to the Mac?

Thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:01:28 am

I'm sort of moving "back to the Mac" for a couple of reasons. I was on FCP 7. When they ended the life of it, there was a big hole, no USB 3.0 support, etc and I had a Windows 7 computer (I also do quite a bit of work with clients on Windows.) It was easy to move over to Windows on Adobe. While there I tried out Sony. Lots of good things about Vegas, stability is not one of them.

Currently because of my using an iPhone, iPad and MBPro for my personal laptop, and field capture, I decided to move back to the newer iMac.

Here's my feeling. Win7 is ok, but more prone to problems that are difficult for many folks to troubleshoot. My experience was the Mac was not having those kind of OS instability problems. (both machines lots of RAM, big monitors, i7 processors). Windows 8 is a nightmare, IMHO. And that's coming from a person who spent a long time using Windows in business. It truly is awful. So I would not want to upgrade to it.

The Mac OS has it's quirks, but is very stable, and has some nice features like the ability to eject disks simply. Yes, you can do it in Windows, but the Mac OS makes it painless. I'm easily able to sync all my contacts on my iPhone and iPad with my desktop and laptop. That's a great time saver. iCloud has been a very good product for me lately. I really don't even think about it anymore.

I don't know if it's any *smoother* to edit on the Mac, it feels pretty similar. Thunderbolt drive speeds are very fast. Faster in my tests than my USB3 drives.

The tradeoff for this is cost. Macs cost more to buy. Though when I factor in support costs it's pretty much a wash. Pay me now or pay me later. And if you compare things properly, meaning a Mac with the right power supply inside, vs a PC with the right Power supply and expansion slots, you have to buy a workstation class machine with a proper video card, and then the price is virtually identical. I kept an eye out on Ebay and found a fully configured iMac for $1900. 16GBs RAM, Fusion Drive, etc. Seems to work fine.

I'm a fan of Time Machine. For most users, it's an elegant and workable solution, unless you are going to clone drives. Which I also do. Also, oddly, I've had the Mac do a better job recovering data on NTFS drives that had gotten corrupted. Now that's odd.

There are many professional shops using Windows out there. It's not like it was a few years ago, when Apple was really the only game in town. Adobe has been making huge strides. It almost seems as if they are doing more for the Windows world, which is logical if you assume that Apple doesn't have a competing editing production on that platform. You won't go wrong either way, but I think that if you can afford the Mac world, it likely won't be an issue.

For much of the industry, there is a longer record of supporting Macs for video production, and thus a deeper pool to draw from.

Al

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:15:59 pm
Last Edited By Larry Zapotocky on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:17:41 pm

Al,

Thanks for the thorough review and info!

Our IT guy just purchased on Mac Pro with the Adobe CC suite, so we are going to take it for a "drive." I'm not sure of the model the Mac Pro is.

I did have one more question: What do you use to archive your footage once your drives start to get full?

Larry

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Jan 21, 2014 at 6:57:18 pm

Great Larry. I'll be interested to see if it pans out for you. Feel free to contact me or post here.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]