MAC OS X: Forum

Need to create bootable usb drive with disk warrior on it

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al BergsteinNeed to create bootable usb drive with disk warrior on it
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:49:53 am
Last Edited By Al Bergstein on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:51:56 am

How do we make bootable usb drives? Internet answers so far are not working. I can partition my usb drive, but can't find proper installer on Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion disks. What am i missing?

I've fixed my drives but now friends are wanting help (g)

Al

Return to posts index

David EaksRe: Need to create bootable usb drive with disk warrior on it
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:34:04 pm

Are you wanting to create a USB stick with the three partitions for DW?

Or

An external drive with OS X and DW installed as a regular application?

I prefer the second method. Simply booting to the external drive and running DW is faster and simpler in my limited experience.

Return to posts index

Al BergsteinRe: Need to create bootable usb drive with disk warrior on it
by on Jan 3, 2014 at 6:31:11 pm

Thanks Dave. I have a 32GB USB stick, and have partitioned it into two 16GB partitions, one partition isMac Journaled. Now I want to install a basic bootable OS onto it, and then load DW. I have a copy of Snow Leopard, but it won't let me install onto it for some reason. I can bring up the SL install, but it won't launch, even though I'm not installing onto the local physical drive. Is there something I'm missing here? The current OS 10.8.5 I don't have the boot disk for because I down loaded it from the Apple Store, and I believe it's now gone (meaning installed). I think it cleans itself up afterwards.

Should I just download Mavericks and use the install process on it?

It all may be moot soon. Alsoft sends out a bootable version of DW and it likely will be here next week. But I would like to get this done anyway.

Thoughts?

Al

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:00:35 pm

Yes, after downloading and installing the OS from the App Store the installer is "cleaned up". You can download the installer again then install it to the USB drive.

Not sure why the physical install disc won't let you install SL to the USB drive. What happens when you try to open the installer? Are you using a Mac that shipped with a more recent OS than SL?

Return to posts index

by on Jan 3, 2014 at 7:29:08 pm

Thanks. Re-Downloading it is what I suspected. And yes, my machine is running 10.8.5 so the installer won't even start after clicking on it. Error message says that I'm running a newer version of the OS and it just won't go forward. I don't even get the option of deciding to install it on a separate disk. I wasn't aware that Apple sort of forced you forward once you have made the upgrade.

I'm sort of surprised that Apple's Disk Utility doesn't have a 'bootable' disk capability when formatting, like Windows does. Or did I miss it? Given the answers I've seen in Google there does not appear that it possible.

Al

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2014 at 12:30:01 am

If I recall correctly, you can put the installer at the root level of a drive, reboot holding option, boot to the installer, and install the OS to any available drive/partition (getting around the older OS restriction).

Return to posts index

by on Jan 4, 2014 at 1:44:23 am

That's the ticket. Thx!

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]