MAC OS X: Forum

clean install how to move data

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
clean install how to move data
on Jan 2, 2014 at 5:58:53 am

I have done a clean install of Mavericks on an internal drive on a 2009 mac pro. On another internal drive I have a backed up copy of 10.7. On the new drive I have Mavericks and FCP X 10.1 and all the other apps that were listed in my app store account. All is well. I now want to manually copy my mail, documents, iPhoto library and the like to my Mavericks HD. Tried goggle search with very little solid how to advice other than in forums I'm not sure about.

Documents I'm just going to copy over to new documents folder.

I think that leaves bookmarks for safari (though my iPad version is now on the mavericks version…maybe when I put in my apple ID to use the App store …. iCloud?).

I've done this at every major install and it usually very simple. Erase this or that in the library. Copy this and that from old system. Can someone give me the this and that?

Never had trouble finding steps to take before.

iPhoto library.

And most importantly my mail folders and accounts.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
Re: clean install how to move data
on Jan 7, 2014 at 2:10:40 am

So why not just do a Time Machine backup, or hook up a FW or TB cable between the machines, go to Utilities and run migration assistant but only choose to migrate computer settings (and maybe documents). I just did that quite successfully. Migration assistant is a wonderful tool. Just don't run it over an ethernet connection. It should be direct connected.

I backed up one drive onto a RAID 1 with TM. With Mavericks you can choose to migrate from a Time Machine backup.

Al

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]