MAC OS X: Forum

Purchasing a New Computer.....Finally!!!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kurt BergeronPurchasing a New Computer.....Finally!!!
by on Dec 2, 2013 at 8:17:25 pm

The computer I'm currently running is a PC chip G5 tower on OS X 10.4.11, which I purchased in 2005.

I'll wait till you stop laughing ;)

Before now, I've never been in a position financially to upgrade it. But now,...enough films have been shooting in the Boston area that I can actually afford to update my life. Thank you John Travolta!

THAT SAID!! I'm going to be purchasing a brand new mac as you can imagine the problems I'm having with my current one,....and then add on a few extra problems that just make no friggin' sense but are mind numbingly painful.

I'm coming to you all for suggestions. I'm looking at probably the 27 inch screen imac with 16gb of RAM instead of the 8.....and making the jump from Final Cut 5 (I know) to Final Cut X...........in which I'm sure I have A LOT to familiarize myself with!

Besides the 16gb of RAM,....can anyone suggest any further settings I need to be ensuring that I have to support the world that has moved so far beyond me? My thanks!

Return to posts index

David EaksRe: Purchasing a New Computer.....Finally!!!
by on Dec 3, 2013 at 8:43:07 am

Halt all purchases!

We are a matter of days from the new Mac Pro "Tube" release. Wait for some reviews and benchmarks, then measure your price-performance-needs ratio and make the decision from there.

I'm curious to see performance comparisons of a top spec iMac vs a base model Mac Pro, then compare the price difference. Running a trusty old 2008 Mac Pro, with $6k in a "Tube" fund, I'm ready for an update as well.

If you haven't seen it yet, you have got to go look at Apples Mac Pro page.

Hey, nothing wrong with running old hardware and software if it suits your needs and makes you money. FCPX definitely comes with a bit of a learning curve, but with a little conceptual understanding and muscle memory retraining, I'm sure you'll find it a very capable and powerful tool. Tons of free and paid training available, as well as the FCPX Techniques forum here on the COW, to get you up to speed relatively painlessly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]