MAC OS X: Forum

Migration and restore failed going from 7200HDD to Fusion drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris KingMigration and restore failed going from 7200HDD to Fusion drive
by on Oct 19, 2013 at 4:56:24 pm

Hi all,

I got a refurb 2012 iMac with a 1TB Fusion drive to replace a 2010 Mac Pro with 1TB 7200 HDD, both I bought for the use of video editing and motion graphics programs. Sadly, migration failed twice when I tried it via Ethernet, stalling at "34 minutes remaining" both times after about 4 hours.

I heard this was somewhat common, so I mounted my old drive as an external and followed these OWC steps to clone my old drive to the new one: http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=/manuals/mac/clon_data...

This gave me the error "Restore failed - resource busy" error. I tried again two more times making sure I was using the indented drive partition from the Disk Utility list, "Restore Failed" every time.

So now I had a completely wiped hard drive in my iMac, no OS, nothing. With my external still plugged in, I restarted holding option and booted to the recovery disk where I tried simply to re-install Mountain Lion on the iMac drive. This is where it get's weird.

I get to the "Preparing to install" screen and it says 9 hours, which seems incredibly long for an OS download, but I figure it'll drop quickly so I step out for a bit. When I come back, the computer is back to the first boot screen from which I choose which action I want to do: Install OSX, Restore from Time Machine, etc. Basically it's back to the start without any errors or buttons to be clicked or anything.

I try again, but THIS time when I get to the "Preparing to install" screen, the time remaining says -2 billion hours: http://i.imgur.com/mQIdLwS.jpg

Negative two-billion.

Negative?!!? Billion?

My brain hurts. I canceled and tried again, negative two billion.

I have basically new computer now that's completely wiped and unusable and onto which I seemingly can't clone or install anything. HELP.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]