MAC OS X: Forum

The trash won't empty and just hangs, and files disappear then reappear

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Erline O'Donovan
The trash won't empty and just hangs, and files disappear then reappear
on Oct 9, 2013 at 1:57:17 pm

Hi

I've looked everywhere I could think of but I can't find anybody with exactly the same problem.

My boss is having issues with her laptop. She has a few folders and files in the trash, but whenever she tries to empty the trash, the progress bar just hangs forever. When she tries to stop it, that hangs as well and she ends up having to relaunch the Finder and often force shut down her computer as most of the time the Finder doesn't relaunch properly.

I've tried secure emptying the trash, removing everything from the trash and trying to delete one file or folder at a time, even empty folders, I've tried repairing the disk permissions... The files were definitely on her laptop and not on an external hard drive (which apparently would cause problems if trying to empty the trash without the external hard drive plugged in)

There is no error message, it just hangs forever. And the weird thing is, the last few times when we've relaunched the Finder, the bin then appeared to be empty. I checked in the original folder where we'd put the rest of the files back, could see the files, checked another folder, came back to it and it was now empty. I checked the size and it said zero kb. I logged out then back in again, and the file was back in the trash, and the others back in the folder.

The files are GoPro clips, I've checked and they're not locked, and she has read and write permissions. Even empty folders can't be deleted once they're in the trash.

Any idea what's going on, and how I can delete these files? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]