MAC OS X: Forum

Clones won't boot (neither CCC nor SD)

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ignatius Gorin
Clones won't boot (neither CCC nor SD)
on Aug 12, 2013 at 5:16:14 pm

Hi --

I saw a SMART failure on an internal HDD running 10.6.8 on a Mac Pro 2,1 (2x2,66/14Gb).

I bought a LaCie d2 Quadra 3TB, partitioned it (GUID table) to clone my internal HDD. No know problem with the LaCie enclosure in this case I think.

I tried with both CCC and SuperDuper, and neither clone will boot; internal drive boots ok. Used default cloning options with both CCC and SD. Tried to repair permissions first with SD.

With the initial CCC clone, after looking up, I thought Little Snitch could be a problem. I disabled it, tried again; still won't do.

I can see the volume as bootable in the pref pane, select it. It will hang a few seconds at startup, then boot from the internal drive. If I boot with the option key, I can't see the clone, only the internal drive; tried to disconnect/reconnect the external drive, wait, then into another FW 800 port, etc. to no avail.

Any idea? Been trying 5 times; takes hours to clone each time...

TIA.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Clones won't boot (neither CCC nor SD)
on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:03:16 pm

before making your clone drive, go into Apple Disk Utility and repartition the drive, and click on OPTION, and make sure that GUID partition is selected, or you can't boot off of your drive.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on Aug 21, 2013 at 12:50:24 pm

Thanks for your input. The drive was GUID partioned indeed.

After retrying 3 times (and getting an internal SSD along the way, which booted fine the first time) I think it turns our that LaCie d2 Quadra 3TB just can't be booted from (maybe the enclosure is the culprit)...

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Aug 21, 2013 at 5:25:34 pm

It's odd that the Startup Disk panel sees it as a valid enough option to display, but the Startup Manager does not. What port is it being connected to? And what's the result from these three (readonly) commands after you choose the lacie in the Startup Disk panel?

nvram -p
bless --getboot
bless --info
diskutil list

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Aug 21, 2013 at 5:16:18 pm

In the realm of otherwise useless and obscure information: Apple's firmware will boot an OS from a disk with an MBR partition scheme. However the OS X installer will refuse to install to such a disk. In the OP's case it doesn't make sense to use MBR though, because as a 32-bit encoded table, he'd only be able to use 2.2TB of the 3TB drive size, so it's a good idea to use GPT.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 21, 2013 at 11:05:01 pm

boy, I hate using GPT, but you are right, his 2,1 Mac is only 32 bit. This is the problem trying to use new stuff with old hardware.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Aug 22, 2013 at 1:13:13 am

Actually I didn't catch that he has 32-bit EFI firmware. It could be a factor if the firmware isn't finding a 32-bit version of boot.efi (the OS X bootloader). Yet the system was cloned, and the cloned system works, so I'm not sure why it wouldn't find the right bootloader.

It seems more likely there's a negative interaction between the firmware and the drive enclosure, for whatever reason. I'm under the impression that all Macs can boot via FireWire (since the dawn of FireWire), and pretty much any Mac in the last 10 years can boot OS X via USB. But common USB bridge chipsets annoy the living daylights out of me, as so few common products use a chipset that does ATA passthrough, making it impossible to do SMART diagnostics, check the Phy event counters, blah.

Out of this list from Bombich, I'm uncertain about 1 and 5. I'd like to think LaCie can confirm/deny whether their enclosure supports booting.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Aug 22, 2013 at 1:19:31 am

I just googled the enclosure model and realized it's USB 3.0. It wouldn't surprise me if the firmware and enclosure simply aren't able to agree on a fallback to USB 2, which is what the Pro will need. You could try unplugging the enclosure, booting with option key to the Startup Manager, and then plugging in the USB drive while you're in the Startup Manager. And, I don't know, give them a minute maybe.

Otherwise I definitely think you should talk to LaCie support and ask them if this enclosure supports USB booting on Macs that predate USB 3.0 (by many years). And if it doesn't, decide if you want to return it.

Return to posts index

Ignatius Gorin
on Aug 22, 2013 at 6:16:48 am

Thanks a lot for your input guys. One thing I had omitted to tell is that the cloned version is on a dedicated 500 Gb partition, not the whole volume. I did try several time to erase, repartition, reclone; no luck.

LaCie seems to clearly indicates that the drive is “bootable in Firewire for Mac”, as shown here and there.

I tried all FW800 connections, before startup or at (option-key) startup.

As I said earlier, I won't return it as I needed storage anyway. I'll try the commands you provided later when I get a hand on the drive again.

Return to posts index

Chris Murphy
on Aug 22, 2013 at 3:36:45 pm

The Startup Disk panel ought to be smart enough to parse the JHFS+ volume and determine if it has all necessary ingredients for a bootable system, before it displays an icon+volumelabel+OSversion. So if Startup Disk panel shows an icon, it almost certainly qualifies for booting based on volume content. If Startup Manager (the thing that comes up at boot chime with option key held) doesn't show the disk at all, while Startup Disk panel does, that makes me suspicious the firmware isn't seeing the bus or the enclosure attached to it; or maybe the GPT is wrong or corrupt for some reason.

Another thing to try is, after you use diskutil list, you'll be able to identify what /dev/ node it's on, something like /dev/disk0 or /dev/disk1. The actual thing you want to boot is on a slice (partition), e.g. disk2s2. If you run this command:

diskutil verifydisk diskX

where X is the number of disk (not including the partition), diskutil verifies everything on the disk: partition maps (all three kinds), EFI System partition, corestorage metadata, raid metadata, all file systems. But it makes no changes. Maybe it finds something.

Return to posts index

Daizy Daizy
on Aug 30, 2013 at 5:56:32 am

You should boot your Mac by holding the option/alt key from keyboard and select the volume to boot and set in System Preferences > Startup Disk.
One most important thing- The name of bootdrive and clone should be different. Try Stellar Drive Clone to create clone of your Mac however CCC, Super duper has great reputation.

Cheers!!!

Return to posts index

Donald Kepler
on Sep 29, 2014 at 5:38:42 am

Well... this is an old post, but I am pretty sure that my experience will definitely make a plus point for this discussion. Because I also faced the same situation last month and I took the back up of my Mac with a Mac drive cloning software and all was well. For resources, you may check this Link http://download.cnet.com/Stellar-Drive-Clone/3000-2242_4-75375355.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]