MAC OS X: Forum

Is it my Mac corrupting my footage?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris TaylorIs it my Mac corrupting my footage?
by on Jul 22, 2013 at 7:32:20 pm

Thanks in advance for any guidance you're able to give...

Here are a couple screen grabs from 7D raw footage. The top is the file in my work drive and the bottom is right off the CF card:

These are just a couple examples of dozens of glitches that have been popping up over the last few months. I'm running OS 10.8.4 and editing on Premiere Pro 6.

It seems that I can replace the footage that exists in my work drive, and it will work for a short period of time, but then it will soon corrupt again. My next test is to try a different drive, but I wanted to meanwhile throw this issue out there for any advice.

Thanks!

Chris

- iMac 2.5GHz i5, 16GB RAM, AMD Radeon 6750M Graphics Card
- Mountain Lion 10.8.4

Return to posts index

Chris MurphyRe: Is it my Mac corrupting my footage?
by on Aug 21, 2013 at 7:31:49 am

Has the drive died yet? Launch Disk Utility, click on the physical drive (with make/model) and clicking Info. Scroll down and copy-paste all of the SMART related data. Another thing to check is the RAM, boot with the D key. If the utility is built into the firmware it'll just come up, if not you'll need one of the DVD's that came with the Mac. Do the long test and let it run overnight.

I actually don't know how good that memory test is. On various file system lists I peruse, bad RAM comes up all the time and causes the weirdest transient problems. So that test may be a waste of time because even if it says the memory is good I'd question it. There's memtest86+ but on most Macs you have to burn a CD/DVD because it isn't yet ready for EFI firmware, and by putting it on a CD/DVD it's possible to activate the EFI CSM which emulates BIOS and then memtest86+ will run. It's a common option with many Linux install media. Just let it run Friday noon until Monday late morning...see if it eventually finds something.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]