MAC OS X: Forum

Memory Allocation Terrible - Mac Pro - Mountain Lion: Anyone know a good fix for this?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hugh LewisMemory Allocation Terrible - Mac Pro - Mountain Lion: Anyone know a good fix for this?
by on Jul 1, 2013 at 12:41:02 am

Hi all,
I'm using a Mac Pro 4,1 - late 2010 machine with 12gb 1066 DDR3 RAM installed, xeon quad core, and since starting (late 2010) I've felt that the system memory allocation has been surprisingly poor i.e. loads more active and tied up (blue) inactive than seems reasonable for the apps that are open.

I have recently installed OSX 10.8.4, Avid MC 6.0.4 and CatDV 9 Pro to handle a large project that I'm commencing post with now.
With just two apps open: Avid with an early stage, so relatively simple project file and two (admittedly largish) lists open in CatDV. The system memory gets sucked up into inactive blue and I get issues with one or both of the apps along with complaints about inadequate system memory!

The performance of the same apps on my Macbook Pro - early 2012 8gb RAM installed, dual core
is much better, more like I would expect given the relevant tasks and hardware, and better than the more powerful Mac Pro.
On the laptop I'm running Lion.

I think that the problem got worse after installing the necessary OS upgrade (OSX 6.8 - 8.4) for the Avid software.

Has anyone had a similar experience and know a way to improve on this situation without having to increase the 12gb of RAM - which really should be able to handle this!!....no?

Thanks for any thoughts

H

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]