MAC OS X: Forum

Oh No...can anyone give me tips on how to recover my files?!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Gowan
Oh No...can anyone give me tips on how to recover my files?!
on Jun 28, 2013 at 7:27:29 pm

Running OS X 10.6.8.
Working on an FCP project, all files and media located on a FW800 drive.
Was mounting another drive (not even daisy-chaining...just using a different FW800 port on Mac Pro) when FCP froze on me. I had to force-quit.
I went to restart the project from the FW800 drive, and found the drive empty. No files whatsoever.
My hypothesis is that I accidentally deleted or moved all the files from that location, which is what caused the FCP unresponsiveness, making me force-quit in the first place.
The deleted or moved files are not in my trash (which I have not cleared, for obvious reasons).
I don't think that the files have been completely deleted because the available space on the drive still reflects the amount that was available before the files were gone. It's a 500GB drive, and only 180GB available. I think that if I were to eject that drive, it would automatically clear that space, right?
A search for the file names only leads me to my autosave vault (so at least I have an updated project file).
Any tips on how I could recover, un-move, or find these folders?

Return to posts index

John Nelson
Re: Oh No...can anyone give me tips on how to recover my files?!
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:10:40 pm

Have you already trashed the FCP preferences? Just a thought...

http://www.omproductions.net

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
Re: Oh No...can anyone give me tips on how to recover my files?!
on Jul 2, 2013 at 3:15:58 pm

I always thought that if you sent something to the trash from an external drive then ejected that drive, the trash would automatically delete those items permanently. But, after failing to find anything else to try, I ejected the drive, and to my surprise, all the files were intact when I re-mounted it.

Glad it was a false alarm.

Thank you for the response though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]