Maybe it´s time to update my actual MacPro early 2008 (2 Hapertown processors 2,8 Ghz, 12Gb ram and GeForce 8800 GT graphic card).
My work is focused in postproduction video workflow (Avid MC, DaVinci Resolve, AE and Cinema4) with HD material and occasionally 2K
Problem? My budget! I can´t spend more than 4500$ and
I guess when apple anounces new MacPro it will be very very expensive and for this budget, in the best case scenario, maybe I could go for basic configuration or model. For this reason I´m thinking to buy a Imac 2013 full equip ;) (32 Gb Ram, GeForce GTX 680MX 2Gb, Core I5 or I7, Fusion drive and an external hdd with thunderbolt).
For me it´s a serious decision, I need a fast and stable system. I don´t know if I do the right changing to an Imac.
We don't know how much the new Mac Pro will be. I definitely would not buy an iMac right now, especially if based on the assumption that $4500 won't buy the new Mac Pro.
While you wait for more info on the new MP so you can make an informed decision, start saving up to increase the budget just in case. ; )
BTW I'm also running a 2008 MP 3,1 2.8ghz eight core, but with 16GB RAM and a Radeon 5770. I'm anxious to update my 5 year old workhorse too, but after all this time waiting... and the new Mac Pro announced... Well, I couldn't bear to jump the gun and buy an iMac right now.