MAC OS X: Forum

Program Preferences w/ Mountain Lion

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Don Greening
Program Preferences w/ Mountain Lion
on May 9, 2013 at 10:07:46 pm

Does anyone know where the program preference files are kept in Mountain Lion? They don't seem to be in the previous place any more which was:

Macintosh HD>Users>"yourname">Library>Preferences

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to be able to trash corrupted preference files when needed. TIA

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

Chuck Reti
Re: Program Preferences w/ Mountain Lion
on May 10, 2013 at 3:21:21 am

Preferences (.plist) files are still in the ~/Library folder, where they always have been.
In Mountain Lion, Apple chose to make the User>Library file more difficult, but not impossible, to access. Protecting us from ourselves, I presume.
With Finder as foreground app, click/hold on the "Go" item in the top Menu bar. Hold down the "Option" key.
You will see the Library folder revealed, just below the "Home" folder in the list.
Once open, the~/ Library folder icon can be dragged into Finder window sidebar for quick access.

Return to posts index

Don Greening
on May 10, 2013 at 7:15:17 pm

Hi Chuck,

Yup, that's where it is alright. Thanks for the reply and the heads up about the pref folder's location. Never thought it would be accessed from any of the Finder menus. Cheers.

To David: thanks also for your reply. I do indeed have Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion but this time I didn't need to trash any editing application prefs. I didn't know about its ability to trash other NLE preferences other than Final Cut Studio. Thanks much for the heads up on that.

- Don

Don Greening
A Vancouver Video Production Company
Reeltime Videoworks
http://www.reeltimevideoworks.com

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on May 10, 2013 at 5:15:30 am

If it suits your needs, Preference Manager from Digital Rebellion is an excellent and free option for trashing some prefs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]