MAC OS X: Forum

password protect a sparse image without encryption?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
password protect a sparse image without encryption?
on May 6, 2013 at 4:14:26 am

Is there any way to add a password to a sparse image without encryption? I am setting up a FCP X lab and the media drives are 8 TB raids connected to each computer. Projects and Event folders will be contained within sparse images for each user. However it takes too long to copy media to the encrypted images. From my simple tests we are talking 40 times as long.

I need a way to have each user to have access to only their projects and media. I've had so so luck in the past trying to assign permissions to folders on external drives. I haven't tried it with disk images.

I can't be the only one who needs to limit access to files in a media lab or any computer lab for that matter.

Any suggestions?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV30/40, Sony Z7U, VX2000, PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jyoti Roy
Re: password protect a sparse image without encryption?
on May 9, 2013 at 8:41:02 am

No, you cannot protect a single photo with password, you can protect either your entire account or iphoto Library with password in Mac.
If you create image of any Mac drive with Disk Utility then you have to give password to protect it.
Let me know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]