MAC OS X: Forum

OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean EunsonOS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Apr 18, 2013 at 4:48:05 pm

Just thought I would post this as an FYI. I recently got an iMac i7 with 32Gigs of Ram. It has 10.8.3 as the operating system. Here was my problem which in the end was easily solved. I have 4 external GTech Raid drives - all different sizes from 1TB to 4TB. When I tried to write a file to them - only one drive would allow it. The 4TB. The other drives said I could not plop a file on them. They appear on the desktop fine - the file existing on them are fine. But I could not write a simple Open Office text file to them. Looking in the Get Info on each of the drives they all had read/write and were identical to the 4TB (Mac OS extended by the way) Everything was identical except size and writing permissions.
I opened up "About this Mac" "More Info" "Report" and went to storage. Writable was "No" on all the drives I had a problem with. I went to "Disk Utility" and ran the "Verify" on each drive and it tells me the drives are ok. But guess what - this solved the problem. I was able to write to the drives. I then looked at the About this Mac info - it still said "No" on writing. I solved that by rebooting the machine and Voila! it says "Yes" on write.
Hope this helps you all. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Apr 20, 2013 at 3:09:40 am

That's very odd.

Did you try changing the drives to ignore permissions?

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more
New! Come see me speak @ NAB/Post Production World!

Return to posts index

Sean EunsonRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Apr 20, 2013 at 1:36:30 pm

One thing I forgot to mention. The drives were coming off the thunderbolt port via a thunderbolt to FireWire 800 converter. The drives were all chained together. The 4TB was not first or last.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2013 at 3:28:29 pm

The Saga Continues.... Each morning as i come in to start my day the drives in question continue to exhibit this behavior. I have to go to Drive Utility and run "Verify" to re-set the write to yes. Anyone else having this problem and Im assuming its Mountian Lion and not Gtech but im now not entirely sure?

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:05:32 pm

The easiest way you can check everything is to bring your drives to another mac.

Did you check the Main Drive permission (as I suggested) on OSX - to bypass it entirely?

I have here (connect via Tbolt & USB 2/3) some 1/2 dozen drives - none of which exhibit this behavior.

You might consider installing mountain lion on a different HD and see if it still has this issue.

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:34:04 pm

Thank you for responding. Sorry I did not get to your suggestion before. I actually did bring the drive in question from my machine to another machine (Same new iMac - Same OS - Same thunderbolt to 800 adaptor) when I mounted the drive on this machine it had corrected the write to "Yes" and when I brought it back to my machine it continued to say "Yes" so Ill see what happens when I shut down which I do every night (note - it does not set the permission when I re-start only when I shutdown and re-boot)
As for your suggestion - im unclear on how you bypass the permissions on the main drive? And you are talking about the "Macintosh HD" when you say this?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2013 at 4:36:36 pm

Click on the drive itself.

Choose Get info.

Unlock the drive.

Choose "Ignore Permissions on this Volume"

If the drives aren't having a problem on a different mac, it's likely a problem with your system itself.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:21:34 pm

Got it. I see that and I think - but not certain - that it was already selected. Ill post further in future.
Here is an oddity though. I have 4 external drives connected - all GTech raided drives and one of the drives does not have that option? But its not the drive that changed the write capability?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 29, 2013 at 5:30:04 pm

That option has to do with the format of the drives.

It's present in HFS+; not there in NTFS, FAT32, exFat.

Are all the drives HFS+?

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Jyoti RoyRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on May 1, 2013 at 9:49:07 am

Hi,

You have to check the permission of external drive with the help of Disk Utility.
Disk Utility has 'verify' option which helps you to check read/write operation.

Return to posts index

by on May 1, 2013 at 3:52:33 pm

2 of the drives (of 4) are Journaled HFS + and 2 are just HFS+.

Yes checking the "verify" in Drive Utility solves the problem but it keeps coming back. But today all drives still have write permission as "yes" so I guess its a minor inconvenience if it comes back. Thanks all

Return to posts index

hugh hartfordRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Jun 13, 2013 at 11:12:25 am

I have this same problem with a 4TB Gtech raid drive on macs using OS X 10.6.8. The drive mounted with an error message and although all the files are there the drive can no longer read/write and Disk Utility can't verify disk. I am copying all the data on to a working drive now but wanted to work out what caused it so can avoid this happening again.

I'm not sure it is the operating system as it has the same problem on another mac running OS X 10.7.5

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2013 at 1:09:40 am

This sounds like a different problem. I was always able to "read" the files but not always able to write to the drive.
Verify drive fixed the problem and I have only occasionally had the "write" problem come back. I have had no problem otherwise with my drives and have been editing with them for awhile.
Sometimes you do get a bad drive - although the GTechs have been rock solid for the most part.

Return to posts index

hugh hartfordRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Jun 14, 2013 at 7:38:17 am

Thanks for the response, you're right I can 'read' the files - many quicktime clips still play, but nothing can be copied to the drive and no files on the drive can be changed. When transferring the data off the drive there were about 5 video files (out of 2.5TB of data) that made the transfer crash and I'd have to relaunch finder. Could it be that these files corrupted and caused the problem with the drive? Just trying to avoid it happening again.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 14, 2013 at 11:50:50 am

It does sound like a corruption problem. One thing to be careful about with any drive is a hard ejection off of the computer. You know - when you get that red letter warning when you have accidentally turned a drive off. I almost always run "Disc Warrior" on that drive afterwards.

Return to posts index

Mary Ann LandRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Jun 30, 2013 at 6:59:03 pm

My iMac keeps getting hung up, especially when I use Microsoft Word. Then I have to do a cold re-boot. Is this what is causing problems with the permissions. I recently sent my external drive unit back to the manufacturer to get some help. They said they couldn't access any files or see any files at all. I got it back from them and I could see all my files just fine. But now I can't save a file that I pulled up off the external drive to work on. I was able to see the drive and now it isn't even showing up at all. It's not mounting. I did a Verify Disk and a Repair Disk. It keeps saying Invalid key length. The volume OWC Mervury Elite Pro Qx2 2 First 4 TB could not be verified completely. Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.
I did it again and it says Error: Disck Utility can't repair this disk...Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backup-up files. Before I tried to repair the disk, all my files were there and the unit was mounted just fine! Now I can't even access it. What can I do now? Thank you.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 30, 2013 at 10:01:34 pm

This sounds like a drive that totally needs to be wiped and reformatted. If the manufacture could not find a problem with the drive (and ill assume they did a read/write test and diagnostic) then I would dump your files off of the drive and totally re-format it as a Mac drive . But if this does not work - if possible return the drive.
My problem in this thread was different and I had no "read" problems just a "write" permission problem.

Return to posts index

Michael WrightRe: OS X Lion - read/write permission problem GTech external drives
by on Jul 4, 2013 at 5:37:28 am

I have the same problem on my QNAP NAS. I am a long term Windows user - having been using Mac for past 3 years. This read/write problem and permissions is a constant pain. No-one seems to have the answer.

I can access the NAS on my Windows machines with no problems at all. All permissions are set correctly on the NAS. I am the sole user of the MAC and am, therefore, the admin. I should have full permissions for all MY drive and the files they contain. This is just not the case.

For an OS X touted to be the most advanced in the world - it is a mess. Permissions is a fundamental thing that should just work. The user should not be having to repeatedly mess around with disk utility of the terminal.

Not much more hair left to pull out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]