MAC OS X: Forum

Imac SSD boot drive failed... replacement options?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Imac SSD boot drive failed... replacement options?
on Apr 11, 2013 at 2:06:05 am

My wife's used iMac had a drive upgrade by the last guy that owned it. It has a large RAID built in, as well as a 249 GB OWC Mercury Solid State Drive, containing the OS and applications... which has gone bad. Disk Utility says it can't repair this disk, it won't mount., and trying to repair it, you get "invalid volume directory count" "Invalid Volume File Count", "Incorrect Number Of Extended Attributes".

The SSD was not very old, maybe 3-4 years, and OWC is supposedly a reliable source for parts.

I guess its going into the shop, but now I have to wonder; should I get another SSD or replace it with spinning platters?

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
Re: Imac SSD boot drive failed... replacement options?
on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:45:51 am

SSD vs Spinning disk is a balance between price, capacity and performance. For a given capacity SSD is faster, spinning disk is cheaper. Spinning disks are also available in much larger capacity than SSDs. You need to make your decision on that basis. At this point, I wouldn't say either is more or less reliable and I expect SSD to eventually be far, far more reliable since it lacks moving parts. I've had disks dead on arrival, have some disks from the mid-1990s still running fine and everything in between.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 12, 2013 at 8:22:44 pm

I'd put another SSD in it. Really, 4 years is pretty long in the tooth for any hard drive these days. I'd be concerned about any drive that's old than 3.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Apr 12, 2013 at 10:47:31 pm

You think this is something Disk Warrior might be able to help with?

Personally, I'm not sure that I'd even consider a spinning disk for my OS drive ever again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]