MAC OS X: Forum

Problem with my computer or CS6?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gem Steller
Problem with my computer or CS6?
on Mar 10, 2013 at 11:28:09 pm

Hi,

I am hoping some one can shed some light. I having all sorts of troubles with my G5 mac pro computer. It is ongoing, inconsistent and extremely frustrating as I am really unable to pin point the problem. My only thought is that there is a problem with my graphics card? Or maybe Adobe CS6 cannot handle the size of the footage I am working in. Below are the specs of my computer and a couple of examples of some of the issues I am coming across. I have a lot of work on in the next 3 months so any ideas of what could it could be or some test I could do would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the specs of my computer:

OSX 10.8.2 (12c60)
Processor: 2.8GHz quad-core Intel Xeon
Memory 16Gb 1066 MHz DDR3
Graphics Card: ATI RADEON HD

1. the first Job I was working on was shot on Redcam 4K and when working from the native codec in Premiere at ¼ Resolution at native size it was taking 40mins to render 1 minute and was crashing every 2nd time I tried. Fine. I converted the files to ProRes 4:2:2 and was cutting with them in Final Cut which was working well until I took the project into color for grading. I was having terrible problems with quality, and artifacting occurring when I pushed the highlights or the shadows. I exported the offline version out of FCP and took it into AF for the grade and was still unhappy with the quality of the color range (considering it is 4K footage- Surely the detail should be there?!?) So I thought that maybe it was the the proRes footage so I took a XML into Divinci Resovle and linked it back to the red footage. I was still having the quality issue, in fact the when I pushed the highlights I got some very obvious artifacting, that when I tried it on another computer I could not recreate.

2. Next job I did was shot on Canon rebel T3i. I converted the footage to ProRes 4:2:2, footage looked great, graded it in after effects, no problems at all. And this looked SO much better than the RED footage- does not make sense.

3. Next job was shot on the Canon XF305 and through Canons plugin for FCP, I converted the footage to ProRes 4:2:2 but was not happy with the quality of the ProRes footage. I decided to cut the native MXF files in Premiere as they quality was slightly higher. All was fine until I tried to send the file to After Effects using dynamic link. I have not used this workflow before, as I mostly do my editing in FCP but for the sake of getting the quality from the MXF I decided to work this way (so maybe someone can tell me if my computer should be able handle this work flow considering my specs and the MXF fiesl?). I was unable to preview render my project in AF - it was giving me a message telling me that I needed a mark a valid in and out (which of course I had). In the end I exported out my edit in Premiere to take it into After Effects to correct color. I exported out a 1920x1080 MXF file as this was going to have the shortest export time and I took this file into After Effects. this seemed to work but not without its random freak outs. Often it would give me the preview render problem I was getting before saying to mark a valid in and out. It would only do this on occasion and then 2 mins later would work again. When I rendered it out, it had added a couple of frames halve way through my edit that I was unable to see in the original exported file out of Premiere, and the fades would fade out but cut hard back in the next shot. I took it into FCP and fixed pulled out the 3 frames it was out of sync and recreated the fades and this export worked but obviously this was extremely time consuming and not ideal for the high volumes of work I have over the next 3 months.

I really don’t have time to take my computer in to be look at if I can avoid it
But I am wondering if anyone has some ideas to help me trouble shoot the problem.
Is it possible that my computer cannot handle the footage I am using?
Is there anyway to test whether it is a dud graphics card?
Is there a secret of using dynamic linking between CS6 programs when dealing with native camera files? Is it common not to work with my situation?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]