MAC OS X: Forum

iPhoto library transfer SLOWWWW

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucas
iPhoto library transfer SLOWWWW
on Jan 19, 2013 at 7:03:14 pm

Hey there,

I'm wondering if anyone could help me solve a mystery. I have an 86GB iPhoto library I want to transfer from my Macbook Pro to my newly purchased iMac.

I first tried to transfer it to a 500GB lacie external drive with a FW800 connection. Transfer was WAY slower than expected, and it calculated it would take a whole day to make the transfer.

So then I connected the two computers with a CAT6 ethernet cable. Transfer wanted to take the same amount of time. Tried out transferring all the other files on my Macbook with the CAT6, a total of 352GB of data, and it took about 2 hours.

The Macbook Pro was purchased in June 2012 from Best Buy. 2.4GHz Intel Core i7 processor, 4gigs of RAM, yadda yadda. the iMac is brand spanking new, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32 GB of RAM, fusion drive, etc.

What would cause the transfer of the iPhoto library bundle to be really slow, when much larger data packages are able to transfer at a MUCH faster speed. Any thoughts? Any more info I could provide to help with the answer?

-Tucker

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: iPhoto library transfer SLOWWWW
on Jan 19, 2013 at 8:55:16 pm

I'd do the usual - check the drive, check permissions, etc...

Generally, with the two methods you used, I expect about a 1 gig a minute or so transfer.

But your iPhoto Library is a 'package'. OSX has to analyze to move the 15,000 or so photos + metadata that's inside that package.

The initial calculation, I suspect slows down the estimated calculation since it's not just a file.

Last, you might try using a unix terminal command and see if it helps (warning - do this on a small file first. Not your huge iPhoto library)
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57467900-263/using-the-os-x-terminal-i...

Best,

Jeff I. Greenberg
Author/Master Instructor/Speaker/Consulting
My contact info and more

Return to posts index

Tucker Lucas
Re: iPhoto library transfer SLOWWWW
on Jan 22, 2013 at 7:19:06 pm

Thanks Jeff, you were totally right. The whole transfer only took about an hour and a half to my Lacie, and a little less than that to my new iMac since I was using USB 3.0. Must've just been how it first analyzed the transfer time and estimated it. Thanks!

Tucker Lucas
Editor
Sundog Interactive
tucker.lucas@sundoginteractive.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]