MAC OS X: Forum

2 TB G-tech drive won't allow files to be copied to it!

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samantha Bode
2 TB G-tech drive won't allow files to be copied to it!
on Oct 3, 2012 at 7:44:14 pm

Hi All,

I am using a 2 TB G-tech drive on a Mac Book Pro running Mac OS Mountain Lion. While editing in Final Cut Pro, I can edit and save for about 30 minutes, but after that when I try to save my file to the G-tech drive, I get a "General Error". Also, during this time, when I try to copy a file from the finder onto the G-tech drive, it gives me a Error (-50). I ran a repair using the disk utility, but that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. I have used multiple other 2 TB G-tech drives on this Mac Book Pro with no problems. Anyone have an idea for a solution? Or is the drive just dying?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Samantha Bode

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: 2 TB G-tech drive won't allow files to be copied to it!
on Oct 3, 2012 at 11:47:27 pm

Has it been formatted for Mac OS?

Return to posts index

Samantha Bode
on Oct 3, 2012 at 11:51:22 pm

Hi Gary!

Thanks for the response. The hard drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Samantha Bode

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 4, 2012 at 4:23:42 am

Are you able to plug the drive into another Mac to try and narrow down whether the problem is with the drive or your Mac? How are you connecting the drive (Firewire 800, 400, e-sata)? Bad cable?

Return to posts index

Samantha Bode
on Oct 4, 2012 at 5:00:50 am

I have been able to plug the drive in to multiple Macs. All of the Macs read the drive, but then eventually have the same problem. I am connecting via Firewire 800, using a different cable each time I try.

Samantha Bode

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 4, 2012 at 7:26:38 pm

I Googled "Mac error (-50)" and there's a number of results that might help you. Other than that my only other thought is one you've already had... maybe a failing drive. :-( Good luck.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]