MAC OS X: Forum

New MacBook does not install Final Cut Pro 7

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Myles O'Reilly
New MacBook does not install Final Cut Pro 7
on Aug 27, 2012 at 9:11:21 am

Hi Folks

I dont know how this topic is not widely discussed amongst video editors.

I love working with Final Cut Pro 7 and obviously dislike FCP Pro X. My new Macbook wont let me install my Final Cut 7. Is it the OSX?

Why is it? and what can I do?

Thank you!!

Return to posts index

David Eaks
Re: New MacBook does not install Final Cut Pro 7
on Aug 27, 2012 at 11:01:34 am

Could you give more details about the computer your having trouble with? Is it a clean OS install? What is the Mac's model identifier, System specs, OS version, other major Applications installed (FCPX?), any connected hardware?

What makes it obvious that you dislike FCPX? To me, that statement screams "I haven't given it a chance but people whose opinion I respect said they don't like it, therefore I don't either". Maybe I'm missing something. I think it's great, and has tons of potential. Have you really checked it out since its very poorly recieved release?

Return to posts index

Myles O'Reilly
on Aug 27, 2012 at 5:34:22 pm

Hi David

Thanks for your interests I appreciate it. I'm not too keen of FCPx just because I really haven't found the time to use it. I know it's great in relation to speed and functionality and have had a go of it a few times. It's definitely the case that it needs to grow on me merely because I've been working with Final Cut, Pro Tools, Flash and Photoshop for so many years now and I do output a lot of work, so it's just a case that I haven't had the time to try and attempt a project with FCPx because it's so different.

So now I'm abroad with my Macbook Lion OSX 19" 4GBram (with FCPx installed) and I need to do some Motion/keyframe/Color Key stuff with multi layers of audio, quickly, and it's a constant learning curve and very time consuming. I suppose this is how any hard working servant of the media gets to learn a new program, by diving in the deap end... I must say the hardest thing is dealing with that magnetic timeline (grr)

..and so you've answered my question by getting me to answer it for me! I should just get my head around the program as quickly a possible. It would also be a shame not to utilize the h.264 processing capability and RT render potential which I've noticed is pretty darn amazing.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Aug 27, 2012 at 10:09:05 pm

Cool, I didnt like X either, until Multicam and Monitoring came. Then I actually gave it a chance and got hooked. There are so many little things that can be frustrating until you figure out the way FCPX does it. Like moving the connection point on a connected clip, for example.

Just so you know, FCS won't install if FCPX is in the applications folder. The fix is simply to temporarily put FCPX (motion 5 and compressor 4 too) into a subfolder within the applications folder, install FCS and update it, move FCS to a new folder in applications, and finally, put FCPX (M5 & C4 too) back into the root of Applications. If FCS is installed first, FCPX automatically moves FCS into a subfolderfor you.

As for the magnetic timeline, just press P to turn it off. Of course the Position tool doesn't turn X into 7 but it helps. Now that I've got a good handle on how the magnetic timeline works, going back to FCP7 feels very dated and clunky and X is so smooth. While I'm pretty happy with X, I have (as well as everyone else) a long list of requested features, since you're going to take the plunge why not send some requests to Apple? Link to feedback page is in the Final Cut Pro menu, "provide Final Cut Pro feedback".

Here's a few ideas for FCPX Feedback ;)

-Manual Save and versions history (ie autosave vault)

-Custom savable window layouts and keyboard shortcuts to switch layouts

-Change Keyframe interpolation in the inspector and video animation editor

-Keyframing for color correction and other effects

-Zooming timeline centered on playhead

-freely zoom in and out of viewer 

-multiple scopes open at same time

-round tripping with Motion

-Ability to name clips from within the "Import from Camera" window, before importing. As in log and transfer from FCS

-Push notifications, when any process completes, to iPhone/Notification Center (OSX in general)

-The ability to Option+drag range selections in the timeline, in order to copy portions of clips without the need to make cuts in the clip.

-Used media indicators in event browser

-Memory and cache preference

-Match Frame/Reveal clip

-Export range selection only

-Prores LT export

-A/V Sync indicators

-Add Gap clip to generators list

-A preference option to show/hide specific hard drives individually

-Join through edits

-Reconnect separated Audio

-Copy/Paste/Remove individual clip attributes & effects

-Select all clips forward/back from pointer (ie TTTT tool from FCP7)

-Chapter markers

-Export reference movie

-Magic Trackpad support

-Duplicate Project with referenced media plus handles only

-A filter option for the event browser to show only Events related to current Project

-Allow Multicam clip to use "all active audio" instead of only audio angle 1 or audio angle 2 etc. So to use the audio as it has been mixed in the Angle Viewer.

-A good Keyframe editor

-Preference to always export optimized or original, avoiding proxy if present

-Ability to eject hard drives while FCPX is running

-Audio enhancements should not start analyzing until an enhancement has been applied. Currently, just having the enhancements window open will start to analyze any clip that is selected.

-Background processing actually be in the background!

Return to posts index

James McGlynn
on Oct 19, 2012 at 3:34:03 am

Hey I see that you got it covered lol. Man I love you fcpx wishlist I think you said almost everything and more but I'm sure once they do All that we will find more. So yes. Of promoting anyone but if you want to learn fcpx in three hours izzyvidoes can do it be has a whole advanced fcpx line up that will get you up to speed by the last vid. It help fcp 7 translate to X. Everyone I know hated fcpx because they didnt know it. Now that I showed them the way we all support it and hope they support our suggestions. Hopefully you check out the vids. Be us if you make X work for you you never want to go back. Oh yea compressor 4 same look but way better.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Rikhotso
on Oct 19, 2013 at 7:58:40 pm

Hi David

You just saved me a billion seceond of scouring the net in search of a simple solution.

All i had to do was remove FCPX from App folder and done.
Thanks again

Return to posts index

Walter Colby
on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:38:52 am

I have an unnatural hatred of Apple. They will not allow me to use FCP 7, the software I paid $1000.00 for about 3 years ago. The software I know & am comfortable with & really good at, is purposely forbidden to work on the new Imac I paid $4000 for. Apple used to be cool, now they are as respectable as Microsoft.
(yes,I know... both companies are a joke)

Walt (just an Editor)

Return to posts index

James McGlynn
on Mar 26, 2013 at 4:16:55 am

SO i hear you but i'm not sure what your doing wrong, FCP 7 is still supported on the new OSX. WHere are you having the issue installing it? I just finalized the installs on my new 27" iMac i had no problem with FCP 7 it installed like always. i've also install FCP X , Motion, compressor and color and had no issues. The OSX app store even ran the pro apps update for my FCP7 so i dont believe this is apple fault, it may just be something conflicting with the software. LEt me know what stops your install and we can work from there.

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Mar 26, 2013 at 6:48:27 pm

Walter, as I posted above, If you install FCP X first FCP 7 won't install. Unless you put FCP X into a subfolder within the Applications folder. If you install FCP X second, it will move FCP 7 into a subfolder automatically.

Apple has an installation best practices page. And there is a ton of info out there about installing both.

It is absolutely possible to run the current versions of OS X, FCP X AND FCP 7 on the same partition. Your unnatural hatred is misplaced.

Return to posts index

Walter Colby
on Mar 26, 2013 at 7:14:02 pm

I will look into that.... Thank you for the info, much more enlightening than, apple help.
Walt

Return to posts index

James McGlynn
on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:10:54 am

I had that problem the first time I installed Fcp7 on my loin MacBook. I had x on my MacBook before installing 7. If you open finder,applications , and put x in a new folder it should install if not use "zapper" the app to uninstall x and Install 7 then ten. After installing 7 I like to change the app name to fcp7 to help a Lil. The zapper app is free google it. You get three free complete uninstalls. Just dumping apps in the trash doesn't work so while for apple apps. They store content and system integration files in other places on your hd. So zapper away. Hope everything works out ok. Happy edit

Return to posts index

Walter Colby
on Apr 7, 2013 at 6:25:51 pm

Thanks to all of you guys for the help. FCP 7.0.3 is now running on OS X 10.8.3

Thanks again, Walt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]