MAC OS X: Forum

LaCie d2 Quadra USB 3.0 drive cause hangs - Device Not Ready

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Neweduk
LaCie d2 Quadra USB 3.0 drive cause hangs - Device Not Ready
on Jun 21, 2012 at 12:30:29 am

Problem: LaCie d2 Quadra USB 3.0 Drives cause hangs, crashes and will lock-up the system during boot. (Drive have blue USB 3.0 port and an ON/OFF switch (not ON/AUTO/OFF switch))

Systems affected:
Macmini 5,1 (mid 2011) 10.7.4
MacPro2,1 10.6.8
MacPro5,1 10.6.8

Connection: FW800 (Standalone or Daisy-Chained)

During booting, if a drive is plugged in over FW800, the boot will hang on a blue screen until the device is disconnected. Even if the device is powered off, the system will continue to hang until the power cord or FW800 cord is physically disconnected from the drive.

While working, the drives will become unavailable, as per the log below:

Jun 15 21:20:07 admin kernel[0]: devicename is d2 Quadra v3 Media
Jun 15 21:20:07 admin kernel[0]: whitelist is d2 E Media
Jun 15 21:20:07 admin kernel[0]: whitelist is 2big E Media
Jun 15 21:20:07 admin kernel[0]: whitelist is 4big E Media
Jun 15 21:20:07 admin kernel[0]: whitelist is RuggedSafe Media
Jun 15 21:20:07 admin kernel[0]: com_LaCie_RemoteComms::MatchDeviceName This LaCie device is NOT handled: LaCie d2 Quadra v3 Media.
Jun 15 21:30:18 admin kernel[0]: disk9s1: device is not ready.
Jun 15 21:30:48: --- last message repeated 10 times ---
Jun 15 21:30:48 admin kernel[0]: disk9s1: device is not ready.
Jun 15 21:31:18: --- last message repeated 9 times ---
Jun 15 21:31:19 admin kernel[0]: disk9s1: device is not ready.
Jun 15 21:31:49: --- last message repeated 9 times ---
Jun 15 21:31:49 admin kernel[0]: disk9s1: device is not ready.
Jun 15 21:32:19: --- last message repeated 9 times ---
Jun 15 21:32:19 admin kernel[0]: disk9s1: device is not ready.
Jun 15 21:32:49: --- last message repeated 9 times ---

This could mean during any read/write operation, or simply just sitting idle. If enough time passes, the system will lock up.

Energy saver preferences are set to NOT spin down the disks. Firmware has been updated on all drives in question using LaCie's utility. The LaCie Device Manager cannot control the devices "Eco Mode" on a mac. (It says that the Energy Preferences should manage the drive). All drives have been mounted on a Windows 7 system and had the LaCie Device Manager for Windows force the "Eco Mode" to be disabled. No change in performance on the mac side.

Over 30 LaCie drive have been tested and are affected by the issue. Serial numbers have been supplied to LaCie via support portal. (Including photos of the bar codes/SN)

Responses from LaCie Support:
Format the disk - done - no change
Try a different machine - done - no change
Try a different power supply - done - no change

Drives are formatted using HFS+, NTFS (Using Windows 7, Paragon and Tuxera), and ExFAT - all are behaving the same.

IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS ISSUE?
Please post your system identifier and OS version.

Is there a solution to this problem?

I'm dealing with over 100 of the v3 quadro drives, and at this point we are going to have to move away from LaCie after years of excellent performance.

Return to posts index

Keith Wicks
Re: LaCie d2 Quadra USB 3.0 drive cause hangs - Device Not Ready
on Jul 15, 2012 at 6:23:39 pm

I note that one suggestion from LaCie Support was to try a different power supply. You report that this resulted in no change.

As I wrote in this forum on Mar 12, 2011 (Re: LaCie drive won't stay mounted / Error copying files), PSU problems are common with some LaCie drives. Even the PSUs supplied with LaCie drives may not be able to provide sufficient peak current.

So if you just tried another PSU of the same type, try powering instead from a heavy duty model. I used a PSU from an old computer to power my LaCie drives and all the problems disappeared.

If this does not work, some of the other comments in the March 2011 discussion might prove useful.

Keith Wicks

Return to posts index

matt levinthal
on Oct 8, 2012 at 8:53:43 pm

Hi

Just caught this thread, so no idea if this helps you but might help someone now.

I have had an insane time with these D2 Quadras. last september with exactly same problems- Also drive hanging up, then not ejecting, not allowing the computer to be shut down, etc.

It turns out that there was a firmware/power supply /sleep problem with these drives when using mac OS and firewire connections. Lacie knew about this in June or July of 2011 but still kept selling the drives without telling anyone. My first calls to Lacie, the tech never told me this/didn't know this so I wasted an enormous amount of time troubleshooting a system which was fine (with a director gong nuts and a project against a deadline, etc.)

Lacie finally confirmed there was a firmware issue and an update available. They sent me me new drives with the updated firmware, but except for the 1 TB drive they all had the same problem. To make a long story short, I have been sent at least six replacement drives with either variations of the initial problem or with physical faults in the drive - drives rattling loose in the cases, for example.

I just got off the phone with lacie, as a version 2 replacement they sent, which does not have the sleep issue, is failing a week after I got it.

There is a new version - 3.5 I think, which may or may not have the problem, but the only suggestion I have is to replace the drives with something else. Any data you need to get off the drive can be copied via the USB port or esata - the firewire connection simply will not work properly.

I bought mine from a solid reseller who does a ton of business with lacie, who were unaware of this problem when I bought the drives. If it wasn't for their help getting a resolution would have been even more difficult.

Whatever Lacie initially says, they know about this issue and will ship a replacement drive to you and allow you three weeks to copy over the data and ship the bad drive back, but it takes a bit of arm twisting.

best of luck

Matt

Return to posts index

Kris Koster
on Nov 19, 2015 at 4:39:46 pm

Searching around for others with problems on these devices.

My 18-month-old D2 USB 3.0 drive is failing now and I have so many assets on there that I need for existing projects.

Never trusting Lacie again, this just shouldn't happen. So angry.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]