Craig Alanmacbook pro hard drive update
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 4:20:42 pm

MacBookPro4,1
Intel Core 2 Duo
2.5 GHz

hard drive:
FUJITSU MHY2250BH
232.89 GB

any problems with upgrading to Hitachi 750 gb travelstar sata/300 7200rpm?

Heat for example?

Are there any problems with installation? I've seen the on-line tutorial and I have the screwdriver kit but is it harder than it looks? anything to watch out for?

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: macbook pro hard drive update
by on Jun 17, 2012 at 11:37:23 pm

That's the pre-unibody version, right? Oy - that's a pain in the butt. Be wary, that macbook does not like to be messed with internally. If you can get somebody to do it for you, you'll be happier. There are lots of online tutorials, so if you decide to go through with it be gentle. I screwed mine up (same model) by accidentally bending the latch section.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: macbook pro hard drive update
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 3:29:27 am

Thanks John,

I saw one tutorial that showed that the latch may not work if the clips aren't fully snapped closed at all points. Are you assuming the latch got bent or was the case just not click closed at all points? I love my macbook pro but to me it's a deliberate design flaw to make it that hard to replace a hard drive. Tape ribbon connections? Hidden clips. 50,000 screws.

I'll ask my favorite repair shop what they would charge, but I think I'll end up doing it myself. I'll need one of those plastic pry bars though.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: macbook pro hard drive update
by on Jun 18, 2012 at 9:03:18 pm

Oh yeah, it's visibly bent. I jacked it up big time. I did a friends a few months ago with better results. Good luck! (and be gentle :).

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Rhys LadhaniRe: macbook pro hard drive update
by on Jun 25, 2012 at 1:52:35 am

It's really easy. If that's the preunbody MBP it's a little harder, but I've done a few Mac upgrades. Uni and pre-uni and both are fairly straight forward. Just discharge yourself on the drivebay before you touch anything. Also, upgrade the RAM while you got it open.

Find me here: http://www.behance.net/RhysLadhani

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]