MAC OS X: Forum

Lock Screen Issues

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Becky GeearLock Screen Issues
by on May 5, 2012 at 12:04:16 am

Hi Everyone,

I've tried searching in the forum and online for an answer to my issue and as of yet haven't found anything. So if this is redundant and already answered I apologize and could someone provide a link to the right answer?

I'm running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 on my MacPro. It's a 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon with 4 GB of memory. (Let me know if you need any other specs.)

I've been using this system for over two years now and have just run into a lock screen issue a few weeks ago.

I work in an environment where customarily when you get up and leave your computer you lock the screen. Which is what I do. The only problem is now, randomly (as far as I can tell), there will be times where I come back to the screen to enter my name and the password and the login screen refuses to take the password. Once I hit enter, the screen shakes side to side like I've entered the wrong password. I know for a fact that I'm not and that everything is correct. After three attempts it will bring up the "hint" to my password which is correct for what I need to enter.

As a result, I'm forced to shut down the computer manually and reboot. Since I don't know when this going to occur, I more often than not lose my work and any windows that were open. And the kicker is it doesn't do it every time. I can lock my computer 5 times a day and nothing. The next day I'll lock it 4 times and at least one of those it rejects the password. This past week it's been doing it every day and my IT department hasn't answered any of the tickets I've opened for help.

I'm at a loss and was wondering if anyone has run into this at all.

I'm a video editor and usually have FCP and/or Motion open in the background along with a browser, some drive windows and my email open. But this has been the same environment for two and a half years now and it's only just started. I can't think of anything I'm doing that is different that could have initiated this.

If there's any help or insight you may have to help fix this problem I'd appreciate it.

Many thanks,
Becky

Return to posts index

Curtis ThompsonRe: Lock Screen Issues
by on May 5, 2012 at 1:30:33 am

hello...

that's a pretty core-level bit of functionality, so i'd wonder if perhaps a key on your keyboard is failing randomly? a test would be changing your password to a new one with none of the characters that your current one has, or of course trying a new keyboard if one was available.

it could be a software issue, but as noted, that is pretty deep into the system and not something that would be as likely to go buggy or be impacted by other installed software...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Becky GeearRe: Lock Screen Issues
by on May 7, 2012 at 3:03:53 pm

I hadn't even thought of it as a keyboard failure issue. That's a great suggestion. Thanks so much and I'll give it a try.

Becky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]