MAC OS X: Forum

permissions won't apply

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
permissions won't apply
on Apr 26, 2012 at 6:37:05 pm

I am setting up Imacs for video editing. I will have x number of user accounts and an external raid used as the media drive. One per Imac.

I want each user account’s media folder on the external drive to be protected from all other users. like the user folder on the system drive, Xed out for other users.

I know how to create sparse images for this that would be password protected.

But that involves extra steps as I log each user in and out.

When I try using the get info dialog box and set permissions they do not hold. I can log into user 5 and open and change a folder that is set as read only.

I remember going through this with early versions of OS x, but snow leopard? Really. Or am I doing something wrong?

Please I’m not terminal savy. Just want basic step by step. Would rather the folders were not even able to be opened by other users other than that user account and me the admin.

Yes I have chosen apply to enclosed.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
Re: permissions won't apply
on Apr 26, 2012 at 7:32:29 pm

OS X normally mounts removable drives with the "noowners" option. This ignores any file ownerships on the entire volume. From "Get Info" on the drive, uncheck the "Ignore ownership on this volume" option in "Sharing & Permissions". The following article has some discussion on this. Hopefully this will help some. I'm also assuming you've formatted the drives as HFS+. FAT does not have permissions/owners.

http://www.peachpit.com/guides/content.aspx?g=mac&seqNum=256

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 26, 2012 at 8:46:21 pm

[Chris Gordon] "OS X normally mounts removable drives with the "noowners" option. This ignores any file ownerships on the entire volume. From "Get Info" on the drive, uncheck the "Ignore ownership on this volume" option in "Sharing & Permissions". The following article has some discussion on this. Hopefully this will help some. I'm also assuming you've formatted the drives as HFS+. FAT does not have permissions/owners."

Thanks Chris. Yes I unchecked ignore ownership.

I did not format as HFS+FAT. I used MacOS extended.

I understand that removable drives, since they move to different computers, don't normally have assigned permissions. But it still should be possible. An Admin could always change them.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Chris Gordon
on Apr 27, 2012 at 11:26:30 am

"MacOS Extended" is HFS+.

Have you just tried permissions on the entire drive or creating some directories on the drive and giving each different owners and permissions?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 27, 2012 at 1:51:32 pm

I've tried partitioning the drive and setting permissions for each partition. I've tried creating folders for each each user account and setting permissions for both the folder and individual files within. Nothing sticks.

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
on Sep 2, 2012 at 8:27:17 pm

You could try doing it from the terminal.

sudo /usr/sbin/vsdbutil -a /Volumes/

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]