MAC OS X: Forum

New SSD, clean install or cloned drive?

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Troiano
New SSD, clean install or cloned drive?
on Apr 19, 2012 at 2:43:02 am

Not sure about where would be the best place to ask this question, so I'm trying it here.

I have a 2009 Mac Pro (8 core, if it matters). I bought an SSD drive, to replace my boot drive. I cloned my boot drive onto the SSD, and then replaced it. I'm happy with the performance with my system, once it's booted and running. But watching the videos on the OWC website, where I ordered my drive from, their computers are booting much faster, and I think mine actually takes longer with the new SSD.

My question is, anyone who has done this, would you recommend a clean install on the new drive? Or be happy with good performance onces it's booted?

Also, if a clean install is recommend, my Mac originally came with Snow Lepord, and I upgraded to Lion. Once I've reinstalled Snow Lepord, with the Apple App store remember I had previously upgraded, and allow me to upgrade it again for free?

Thanks for any advice,
Jeff

Return to posts index

Pasi Koivisto
Re: New SSD, clean install or cloned drive?
on Sep 2, 2012 at 8:19:07 pm

I would guess you have a lot more software installed than the OWC computers have. I don't know how many times a day you boot but my system usually only goes down for the night and the very rare kernel panic from playing around with the system too much.

My question would be: Do you think it's worth the time to re-install everything to save a few seconds on boot?

/Pasi
--
Editor, Colorist.
Mac Pro, 8x3 Ghz, 8 Gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4870, KONA 3, Sony PVM20L4, Tangent Devices Wave.

Return to posts index

Jeff Troiano
Re: New SSD, clean install or cloned drive?
on Sep 2, 2012 at 8:42:29 pm

I solved my problem and was a simple thing. I had to go into the system and designate the new drive as the boot drive. I guess my computer was still looking for the old drive, and would eventually find the info it was searching for on the new cloned ssd. Once I did that, my boot times have been very fast.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]