MAC OS X: Forum

Permissions - 81-page boatload of problems

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ann Clark
Permissions - 81-page boatload of problems
on Apr 17, 2012 at 12:54:23 am

Hi All,

I recently (March 2012) updated my Mac Pro to 10.6.8 and a few days ago I installed the much talked about security update that addresses the recent malware.

My machine had been experiencing periodic sluggishness or hanging if it is left alone for a few minutes.

Today my machine hung up - beach ball, unresponsive. I rebooted, then ran Disk Utility.

Previously, I always got about 3 permissions errors, which, of course, never resolve no matter how many times you run DU.

Today, I got 81 PAGES of permissions errors, which didn't resolve after running DU 3 times!

Apple's support page lists these errors as ones you can "ignore"...huh?

BUT a.) the machine runs poorly as mentioned above, and b.) I've never gotten this many permission problems until now.

Anybody seen this type of problem lately??

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14GB memory - OSX10.6.8 FCP7

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: Permissions - 81-page boatload of problems
on Apr 18, 2012 at 5:27:17 pm

hello...

the "repair permissions" functionality is horribly named. permissions don't get "broken" and cause damage, as this tool suggests.

that said, you do have a lot and it is odd that they aren't going away. but your computer being sluggish is not necessarily related to that list at all. are you familiar enough with os x to check other logs to see what you are seeing there?

next time it's slow, check your activity monitor:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1342

and see if any specific app or thread is eating up cpu resources...that's probably a good first step.

hope that helps!

sitruc

Return to posts index

Ann Clark
Re: Permissions - 81-page boatload of problems
on Apr 19, 2012 at 5:54:33 pm

To Everybody -- if you recently started to get a ton of permissions errors after installing an Apple update, I'd love to hear from you.

To Curtis,

Thanks for your reply. Your opinions are appreciated.

1.) Yes, this is a crazy amount of permission problems. I've never seen this many before.

2.) I noticed on an Apple support thread that someone had similar problems, and I wanted to find out if anyone here on CC had noticed this too - and of course, if anyone felt it was related to the recent update installed from Apple.

Small confession here -- I attempted to log into Apple support and for some reason my AppleID would not work, and their procedure for fixing the AppleID also did not work. SO... because I couldn't write to someone in that forum and ask my question, here I am on good old CC.

3.) Yes, I have utilized the Activity Monitor on many occasions. Just not for this. Why? Because by the time I notice the slow-down, it's not possible to even open the AM, much less watch it for a while to see what precisely is hogging the bandwidth. So, given that FCP7 and/or Motion 4 seem to be running at that moment, one can assume...

4.) I won't argue whether "Repair Permissions" is properly named, or even useful. Having had Macs for many years, I know that in the past, one could run this program and actually see results - the errors would not reappear upon re-running "Verify." Nowadays, it seems to do nothing but report the same problems over and over. File permissions are important for a UNIX type operating system, though; just seems that Apple has abandoned users yet again, here.

- A

MacPro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14GB memory - OSX10.6.8 FCP7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]