MAC OS X: Forum

FCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mahi RahgozarFCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:03:11 am

Hi,
I've been an Avid user for many years but never had to take Avid projects home with me. So up until now, I've only had FCP on my home system. But now I need to be able to edit on both programs from home (and I don't wish to upgrade to FCP X). I've also just bought a new iMac (3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7) and I want to make sure I can run both FCP7 and Avid MC6 on this machine.

My questions is this: Is is possible/reasonable to partition the 1 TB drive into two internal disks and instal Snow leopard on one partition solely for the sake of keeping and running FCP7 without too many system related issues (I have FCPS2 with a FCP7 upgrade) and Lion on the other partition for Avid and all other applications that are compatible with it?

Or should I just first instal snow leopard on this brand new computer and after installing the FCP studio, upgrade to Lion and instal Avid?

I would really appreciate any advise anyone can give me regarding this.

Thanks,

Mahi

Return to posts index

Juan SalvoRe: FCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 4:46:57 am

[Mahi Rahgozar] "is possible/reasonable to partition the 1 TB drive into two internal disks and instal Snow leopard on one partition solely for the sake of keeping and running FCP7 without too many system related issues"
Sure, you'll need to use the option key at boot or the startup disk menu to switch between them.

[Mahi Rahgozar] "Or should I just first instal snow leopard on this brand new computer and after installing the FCP studio, upgrade to Lion and instal Avid"

It's never a great idea to upgrade an os with apps. Best to do a clean install of lion and then install all your apps. You can install the last version of FCP(7) straight into Lion. I've got some systems with both FCP & Avid running. In the past this would be frowned upon, and in the future it may cause problems... but for the time being I haven't found any issues that I can attribute to having both apps installed.

http://JuanSalvo.com

Return to posts index

Mahi RahgozarRe: FCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 2:30:48 pm

Thanks Juan. I've read mixed reviews on installing FCP7 directly on lion, and that's why I'm hesitant. Besides mine is an upgrade. I had FCP6 and then upgraded to 7. The computer comes with lion. So you think I should just instal FC on it directly even though my main package is a version 6? Would other programs like compressor, soundtrack pro and color also work this way?

Return to posts index

by on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:28:06 pm

Install the 7 disc. It will prompt u for old license key. Type it in and install directly. Os upgrades with apps installed are always a bad idea.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: FCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive
by on Apr 13, 2012 at 10:17:35 pm

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't totally get this whole snow leopard partition thing anymore. It feels like it's a legacy concept from back in the days of Tiger and doesn't so much apply to current OSX. We run Lion only on multiple systems with no problems. I installed the trial for Avid on one of our systems that also contained FCP7 and nothing bad happened. The same system also has FCPX, and nothing bad happened...

Seems like running old OS's with various partitions would cause more problems than it solves. Just my 2 cents.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig AlanRe: FCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 1:19:16 am

I'm facing exactly this situation. I want copies of FCP X, FCP 7 and AVID MC 6 on the same computer. You are saying you have all three installed on one lion partition and no problems? They all use the same version quicktime? No conflicts? So install a clean version of Lion then all three apps and we should be good to go?

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 14, 2012 at 2:04:51 am

There are instructions on apples site regarding fcpx and fcp7 on the same machine. That is much trickier than avid & fcp.

Fcpx doesn't use QuickTime. It uses av foundation. So they don't interfere with each other. I would say the safest would be fcpx & avid on the same machine. But I do have all three on one of our machines and there haven't been any issues yet.

online editor | colorist | VFX | BD author

Return to posts index

John DavidsonRe: FCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 6:28:39 am

It worked for us on a new iMac. When you install X on a system with FCP7, it moves FCP7 into a folder within the applications folder. Everything is still there. If you're doing a clean install of Lion, why not try it and see what happens. If it doesn't work, do the partition thing.

We just don't run into any issues, so I don't see why you would either.

Return to posts index

Mahi RahgozarRe: FCP7 & Avid MC6 on two partitions of the same HD drive
by on Apr 14, 2012 at 4:17:28 pm

Thanks for all the input. I had actually forgotten about the fact that you cannot downgrade a computer that already comes with the latest version of OS installed on it. So partitioning my iMac's internal drive to run snow leopard on one partition, is out of the question now. However, partitioning it just to keep FCP7 running separately, so that it won't be affected once Mountain Lion is released, is a different story. But according to apple support, it's not a good idea to partition an internal drive in the first place, because it usually comes with many glitches. This is appearently something that they see a lot with people who run both OS and Windows on their Macs.
So I'm still not sure what is the most logical thing to do here. As an Avid editor, it actually took me a long time to switch to FC and now that I'm dependent on it, it scares me that I'm about to set up a system that might not work as I need it to.
Well, hopefully apple will start listening to the need of all of us professional editors and PCP X will become feaseble to switch to in the near future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]