MAC OS X: Forum

DVD super drive problem-does not eject

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
shreyas kulkarni
DVD super drive problem-does not eject
on Feb 21, 2012 at 9:51:16 am

I am facing strange problem with my DVD super drive. It does not eject when idle for some time and when its empty. I have a dual core Mac Pro with snow leapord OS. I have replaced it, updated the OS.. nothing fixes the issue.
it only ejects when I restart the mac pro.
Please help as it does not respond to eject key on keyboard also.

Thanx in advance.

thanx
shreyas.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: DVD super drive problem-does not eject
on Feb 21, 2012 at 10:40:17 am

My guess is that something has it open. Obviously the hardware works. So there's probably an app running that's opening the device preventing the eject (this might show up in /var/log/kernel.log or /var/log/system.log after you attempt an eject).
Check your login items and try turning off things you don't use.. You can even go into launchctl and stop things that look suspicious.
Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

shreyas kulkarni
on Feb 21, 2012 at 12:55:48 pm

Hi steve,
Thanx for your quick resonse. Actully I am not aware of terminal mode. Can you describe it for me in detail? Thanx a ton!

thanx
shreyas.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Feb 21, 2012 at 6:34:53 pm

If you go to system preferences and "accounts" you can check login items (things that start when you login). I have a feeling an app is holding the device.

The "Force quit" idea is a good one. See what's listed there.

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Feb 21, 2012 at 3:55:39 pm

You've tried two drives and the result is the same?

Is your 2nd drive bay empty? Did you try the drive(s) in the 2nd bay using the alternative cabling/connectors?

If you do have a disc in the drive that won't eject via keyboard, will it eject if you drag its icon to the trash?

When discs won't eject, can you still read the data on them? Are they usable otherwise?

If you select FORCE QUIT from the apple menu, what applications does it list? Maybe you have something that is locking up the drive resource. When I have Toast open for DVD burning, it overrides normal access to the drive. Maybe a virus scanner is reading the drive?

I'm not sure if the power settings affect the superdrives or not. In System Preferences, look at your Energy Saver settings. There's an option to "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". When drives are idle, the computer puts them to sleep. If this is checked, try unchecking it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]