MAC OS X: Forum

Do Not Enter sign on start-up

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leonard FrankfordDo Not Enter sign on start-up
by on Feb 3, 2012 at 3:20:13 pm

I don't know where else to post this so I will try here. I have a G5 with an Intel chip, running FCP 7 on it. I am trying to start up the computer this morning and after the Apple logo appears I am getting a gray Do Not Enter logo, along with the spinning wheel. I have never seen this before but I'm guessing it's not good. I have recycled the power several times and no change. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

Leonard

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Do Not Enter sign on start-up
by on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:20:10 am

Well, there's no such thing as a "G5 with an Intel chip" (G5 being a Motorola PPC CPU). Thinking perhaps you mean a Mac Pro.
Have you tried booting up from the install/restore DVD? Sounds like problem with hard drive or a corrupted system.

Return to posts index

Leonard FrankfordRe: Do Not Enter sign on start-up
by on Feb 6, 2012 at 2:56:04 pm

Thanks for your reply. The CD/DVD tray will not open.
Also, my understanding is that FCP 7, which is my version, will only run on a G5 with an Intel processor. Maybe it's not called a G5 if it uses an Intel chip.

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Do Not Enter sign on start-up
by on Feb 6, 2012 at 10:54:23 pm

Yes, the series of Macs using the G5 PPC CPU are also called "G5s."
The Mac Pro line, with Intel CPU, is very similar in outside appearance to the G5 tower. You need an Intel-based Mac with suitable graphics card, per FCP's System Requirements, to do what you are wanting to do.

Try a restart and hold the mouse button down while it's trying to boot up.
That is a suggested method for getting the optical drive drawer to open up.
If that works then maybe you can try a start from the System or restore disc.

Return to posts index

Leonard FrankfordRe: Do Not Enter sign on start-up
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 1:11:01 pm

I called our local Mac support. They send someone out and he was able to reinstall the OS and replace the defective file. I can't remember which file was corrupt, but it's all fixed now. Thanks for the tip. If it happens again I'll give it a try.

Leonard

Leonard F.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]