MAC OS X: Forum

Installing Leopard on more than one computer using original installation discs

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonellInstalling Leopard on more than one computer using original installation discs
by on Dec 31, 2011 at 9:42:22 pm

I just bought my wife a brand new ipod nano only to discover that it's not compatible with Tiger which is running on her PowerPC iMac. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Is it possible for me to use the installation discs that came with my PPC G5 to install Leopard on her computer? I'm certainly not going to spend $180 just for this, more than what I paid for the ipod...

Thanks,

Chris

Return to posts index

Chuck RetiRe: Installing Leopard on more than one computer using original installation discs
by on Jan 5, 2012 at 9:55:20 pm

The install and restore disks that come with a computer are specific to that hardware, and in most cases will not work with other machines. If you have a proper, bootable backup of the iMac's HD, you could at least give it a try.
The published System Requirements for the iPods are clear as to what OS and iTunes versions they now work with. It is very difficult to find, inexpensively, as you're finding, "retail" versions of Leopard 10.5x to give an older Mac a few more months of usability. I gave up on this quest for my old G4, now using it mostly for web and email. I manage my i-Devices from a User login on my wife's intel iMac, which I updated from Tiger to Snow Leopard when she got her a Nano last year.

Return to posts index

Jeff GreenbergRe: Installing Leopard on more than one computer using original installation discs
by on Jan 9, 2012 at 1:21:36 am

By now you've probably solved it..but just in case...

You could probably buy Leopard on ebay fairly cheap...

Or boot her machine in firewire mode, then plug it into your machine. Then use your install disks to upgrade the system.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonellRe: Installing Leopard on more than one computer using original installation discs
by on Jan 10, 2012 at 5:37:04 am

Thanks guys, problem solved...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]