MAC OS X: Forum

G-RAID Odd write speed through eSata

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-LaingG-RAID Odd write speed through eSata
by on Dec 22, 2011 at 10:51:50 am

Cool, so got a 2-TB G-RAID (in RAID 0), connected to my iMac using Sonnet's new Echo Express/34 Adapter and one of their eSata adapters into it. I ran Blackmagic's speed test on the G-RAID through FW800 and Esata using the adapter on my iMac and got some odd results-
FW 800-
Disk Read Data Rate in MB/s - 61.7
Disk Write Data Rate in MB/s - 74.3

-Cool, so about as expected, and nice and fast for a desktop drive.

eSata-
Disk Read Data Rate in MB/s - 121.8 (yay! Super double fast!)
Disk Write Data Rate in MB/s - 58.7 (yay! Super double.....whaaa? Slower?)

OK so could this be some sort of driver thing? I understand the Sonnet adapter is reasonably new but surely there's no reason for it to have slower write speeds? Pls help :S

I didnt test this clinically so to speak, and the G-RAID does have data on it etc, but I tested it at more than once and the results seem pretty consistent....

Tom Morter-Laing
Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010

------------------------------
Thanks if you can help :D
------------------------------

Equipment (not for 'bragging', but in case it's relevant to future posts :D): Canon 7D, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], G-Tech G-RAID 2TB (soon to be over eSata!). Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Elliott HoustonRe: G-RAID Odd write speed through eSata
by on Feb 7, 2012 at 3:57:39 am

Thomas,

I am having the same issue. New G-Tech 2TB drive, sonnet thunderbolt PCI-E adapter, sonnet PCI-E esata card. Blackmagic's disk test shows a write speed of 55Mb/sec and read of 101.3Mb/sec. I'm getting the same results with Aja Disk System test. Have you gained any insight??

Elliott H.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]