MAC OS X: Forum

iPhoto printing question

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lawrence Richards
iPhoto printing question
on Nov 25, 2011 at 3:49:26 pm

I just didn't know where else to post this so my apologies if this isn't the appropriate forum.

My issue is this: When printing photos from iPhoto, while the image on the screen of my iMac looks fine to my eye, the print always comes out darker and more saturated. This forces me to make numerous changes to the photo in iPhoto so that the printed image looks better. This is a waste of time, ink, paper not to mention a loss of quality of image.
My question is, what exactly are the settings I should be looking at in iPhoto to avoid this issue? Since I don't know anything about Photoshop I'd rather avoid having to go there but if that's the best fix then I will. What to do once I get to Photoshop will be asked I guess in another forum.
Thank you in advance for your help!

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
Re: iPhoto printing question
on Nov 25, 2011 at 4:44:34 pm

hello...

there is no magic setting, unfortunately. if you are routinely doing printing of photos, you can calibrate your monitor to a known setting and then learn about your own setup as you go and get better at working with the images to fit your printer, but that's about it.

what you see on your screen is rarely what you will see when printed, and what you see when printed will also vary by printer, so it's really a process of experience and learning...

sorry to not have a better answer for you...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Nov 28, 2011 at 9:20:23 am

Thank you, Curtis. I calibrated my monitor as best I could (not exactly the easiest or most precise method)and will work with the HP printing settings. For some reason, the application I used on my PC worked much better than iphoto or even when I take the photos from iphoto and save them as high rez jpegs and print from my desktop instead. I wonder what the pros do?
Thanks, again!

Larry

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Nov 28, 2011 at 5:49:28 pm

hello...

glad it helped! pros typically calibrate and work with the same printing company if possible so that they know how to set up their work to look the best it can with that printer...

sitruc

Return to posts index

Lawrence Richards
on Nov 28, 2011 at 9:29:44 pm

I just read how monitors are RGB and printing is cmyk so it's impossible to calibrate the two together. If that's the case,
What do professional photographers who print their own photos do?

Thank you!

Larry R.
Florida

Return to posts index

Curtis Thompson
on Nov 28, 2011 at 10:19:45 pm

hello...

yes - monitors are rgb and printing is typically cmyk. again, though - same thing. people learn to tell what the differences are between their monitors/setup and their final prints and they learn to adjust images to fit the desired goal. so it might look a little dark, etc. on their monitor, but they know it will print right.

it takes repetitive practice and experience. but it's not as hard as it sounds...trust me.

sitruc

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]