MAC OS X: Forum

Good DVD burning software for Mac OSX

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Reid Alt
Good DVD burning software for Mac OSX
on Nov 21, 2011 at 9:32:56 am

I'm a relatively new Mac user, and I switched for video editing purposes. I am looking for powerful DVD authoring software. Something akin to Sony's DVD Architect. I need to be able to assign chapters, custom create menus, background media, the whole nine yards. I've searched and searched, but only seem to find hobbyist software. Need something a little better than that.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: Good DVD burning software for Mac OSX
on Nov 21, 2011 at 7:15:26 pm

[Reid Alt] "I've searched and searched, but only seem to find hobbyist software. Need something a little better than that."

What, specifically, have you found that you consider "hobbyist"? What editing software are you using? Unfortunately, Apple's only professional DVD authoring tool (DVD Studio Pro) came bundled with Final Cut Pro Suite which is no longer available (unless you buy a second-hand copy). Adobe Encore may suit your needs.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Joel Hufford
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:45:21 pm

Actually,
I believe that after all of the Final Cut X backlash Apple silently made Final Cut Studio available again. I remember reading something about how it was available through Apple, but you had to call Apple directly to order it. And the price tag remains at $999.

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

Reid Alt
on Nov 22, 2011 at 5:55:49 pm

Thanks for that info. Unfortunately I don't need the whole Studio package, just DVD Studio Pro.

And @Gary, right now I'm still using Sony's DVD Architect. I'm just sending all my rendered files over to my network drive and mastering the disc on my Windows PC. I want to sell my Windows PC though, so I'm looking to fully do away with that computer entirely, thus the need for the software.

And by "hobbyist" I mean just lacking the ability to tweak my settings, optimizing disc space, framerates, etc. The most common software I found that can run on Macs is some form of Nero, and I freaking hate Nero.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 26, 2011 at 6:45:12 pm

Hi Reid,

I've been travelling last week so I'm playing catch-up now.

The only other suggestion I can offer is to post your question in either the 'DVD Authoring' or 'Apple DVD Studio Pro' forum (or both). You might get more help there.

Good luck.

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Dec 4, 2011 at 5:05:18 pm

Adobe Encore has filled the Gap where DVDSP has been (and does blu-ray as well as flash/web versions of a DVD.) Cross platform too.

Best,

Jeff G

Certified Master Trainer | Adobe, Apple, Avid
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New! FCPX DSLR workflows; What's new in Media Comopser 6; Full Media Composer 6 basics from macProVideo.com
Come see me speak at the Government Video Expo Nov 30 - Dec 1; Seminar link here
My book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Lynda.com - Compressor Essentials 3.5 and 4
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]