MAC OS X: Forum

iMac 21.5"

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefano Spinelli
iMac 21.5"
on Nov 4, 2011 at 10:58:54 am

Hi to everyone, i'm new to this site and i don't if this is the right place for this post, sorry if i did wrong.

Now, i'm thinking to buy the iMac 21.5" with this specs:

- Intel core i5 quad-core 2.7 GHz or i7 quad-core 2.8 (maybe you'll tell me wich is better for what i need to do)
- 4 Gb Ram (again, if better i can put 8Gb)
- 1 Tb Hard disk
- AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 Mb

I am an architecture student and i always used AutoCad,i'm starting to use some 3d programs like ArchiCad and just started using Artlantis for 3d rendering. I am quite and heavy user because it sometimes happens (near exams) that i use both archi and autocad like 15-17 hourse a day. So my Dell laptop (even if it has like 1 year) is having some hard times; i can tell that from the huge heat that makes, the fact that after a few hours it often crashes and so on...

Do you think that the 21.5" with that specs is enough for that? or is it better to go straight to the 27"?

(sorry if my english is not perfect XD)

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: iMac 21.5"
on Nov 7, 2011 at 9:10:47 pm

Hi Stefano,

Considering that what you do is very hard on the CPU, I think it's worth it for you to go for the i7 processor. Apple does not say which Intel models it uses specifically, but that i7 is very powerful so it should have enough power to work smoothly. If you're running two big applications at the same time, more RAM than 4GB would probably help a lot also. I recommend you look into ordering your computer with the minimum of RAM and buying more yourself, not from Apple, as their prices are a bit ridiculous for the extra RAM. You'll probably save some money there.

Of course, if you can afford the 27-inch, the i7 processor in it is quite a bit more powerful, but you'll start to see less difference for the extra invested money. The 27-inch looks superb, though.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: iMac 21.5"
on Nov 8, 2011 at 7:31:33 pm

I recommend anybody buying go for the 27" and make sure to splurge on the 2Tb internal drive. You can get cheap RAM from Amazon or macsales - much cheaper than Apple sells it for. You'll love the resolution and additional screen size.
Don't forget to get your student education discount!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]