MAC OS X: Forum

CANNOT see one of my internal HDs....

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
RJ HanniganCANNOT see one of my internal HDs....
by on Oct 29, 2011 at 9:41:17 pm

I recently purchased a new Mac tower... which is running lion

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8

I took 2 of my old hard drives from my last computer and installed them into the new computer... they all booted up fine... after I restarted a relized only 2 HDs were showing up... but When I do an install for an app and change the location for the install I can see the 3 HDs... how do i access the one not showing?... I think both of them are named Macintosh HD and the other is named Macintosh HD2... so one that i cannot see has the same name... when i do a search i only see one... sorry if this message is jumbled or confusing... just exaushted... anyway still getting use to lion and the desktop not showing the hard drives and all these other quirky things... maybe its a setting im missing? maybe its because they are bothed named the same thing?... any help is greatly appreciated and i can clarify any questions...

Return to posts index

Joel HuffordRe: CANNOT see one of my internal HDs....
by on Nov 4, 2011 at 5:48:30 pm

Hi RJ,

Do all three drives show up in the "Disk Utility" application?

I'm not sure if this is happening because both Volumes are labeled "Macintosh HD" but you can test this by renaming the Volume in question.

You're going to have to get into the terminal for this, which if you haven't done before can be a bit daunting at first, but we're only going to be using a few commands. The Terminal is located in your
"/Applications/Utilities" folder.

open up the Terminal and type "diskutil list" This will print out a list of all of the hard disks installed on your computer, and all of the Volumes that those disks have been partitioned into. All you need to do is find the disk that's not showing up in the Finder and figure out what it's Linux-based volume identifier is (This will look something like "/dev/disk0s1")

Here's what my Mac shows:

Once you determine which volume is not showing up, you can rename it using the following command

"diskutil rename /dev/disk0s1 NewName"

Again, from my computer:

just make sure to replace the "/dev/disk0s1" with the actual identifier of your volume. And notice that if you want to have a space in the name, you need to escape it with a ""

try changing the name and see if it gets you anywhere.

Also, in the Finder Menu, under Preferences (Keyboard shortcut "Command+,") you can tell the finder you want it to display your hard drives on the desktop.

Good Luck!

joel
Corporate and Special Event Staging Services
http://www.pacificstaging.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]