MAC OS X: Forum

Security Update 2011-006 breaks Quicktime MOVs

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Campbell
Security Update 2011-006 breaks Quicktime MOVs
on Oct 20, 2011 at 4:16:52 pm

I work for a video production company and we primarily use two different cameras; Canon 5D Mark II, and Canon XH-A1.

I installed the Security Update 2011-006 for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 this morning and now the .MOV files from the XH-A1 are incompatible with Quicktime, FCP, Premiere, Finder Preview, etc. However, the .MOVs from the 5D work as normal.

From what I can tell the only difference is in the codecs:
XH-A1 codecs: MPEG-2 Video, Linear PCM, Timecode
5D codecs: Linear PCM, apcs

Any help/ideas?

This may be the one time I wish I had Time Machine running.

Return to posts index

Will Campbell
Re: Security Update 2011-006 breaks Quicktime MOVs
on Oct 20, 2011 at 5:15:12 pm

I ended up fixing this issue!

I found a computer that had not installed the 2011-006 Security Update. I went to System>Library>Quicktime> and copied the file "QuickTimeComponents.component"

I then found this same file on the computer that was giving me problems, deleted it, and placed the old file in the same folder (trying to overwrite the file did not work - I had to completely delete it before replacing it).

All MOVs now play in QuickTime, FCP, Finder Preview, etc. Hope this helps anyone else with a similar problem!

Return to posts index

James Bayliss-Smith
on Oct 23, 2011 at 6:59:50 am

Hi there, I've just noticed something on some FCPX training videos I downloaded from Larry Jordan. When I play the files in Quicktime or iTunes on my desktop they are slightly cropped. When I play on my iPad they are fine or using VLC on my desktop, again no problems. They are 720 h.264 files. I'm sure they were made with Compressor or FCP

Any ideas? I'm using Quicktime 10.1 and OSX 10.7.2

Do you think this is related I have time machine backups.

Return to posts index

Christopher Gomersall
on Oct 24, 2011 at 7:23:02 pm

This fix saved my ass! Retrieving that single component from a previous un-updated system. DELETING the old one, EMPTYING the trash and REPLACING it with the old, unadulterated file and RESTARTING fixed all my woes.
Thanks, Will. You're a life saver.

Kind regards,
Chris Gomersall
http://www.upstairsmedia.com

Return to posts index

chad gomes
on Nov 7, 2011 at 12:48:23 pm

Hi,

I don't have this same problem but don't currently have access to an quicktime without the updated security system. Is there anywhere I can download this file?

Thanks,
Chad

Return to posts index

wolfgang schabhuettl
on Nov 19, 2011 at 2:54:47 pm

her you go

http://tweaksoftware.zendesk.com/entries/20567912-apple-quicktime-update-br...

Return to posts index

Joy Endicott
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:37:13 pm

After this security update my shop is experiencing the same problem. All machines that have run this security update 2011-006 fail to open .mov that were recorded from our FireStore. The only machine that still opens them in QT or FCP is a laptop running Lion but that has not run this security update.

Did these component files, System>Library>Quicktime>QuickTimeComponents.component, have the same or different dates between the two systems?
When I look back to my external backup of the boot drive, the dates in my "updated" system are the same as the old file, making me think they were not affected.

Thanks,
Joy

Return to posts index

Joy Endicott
on Dec 10, 2011 at 1:59:56 am

Our broken HDV files were originally recorded using
Digital Recorder: Focus Enhancement DTE FireStore FS--4 Pro HD, Version 2.0.0.04092006 NTSC
Format: Quicktime, external timecode, in Syncro Slave mode
Camera: Sony Z1U
Format: 1440 x 1080i, to internal HDV tape and via firewire to FS-4

Through a lengthy discussion with Apple, they directed me back to
http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/documents/downloads/MACOSX_Supp_Anncmt_1...
and suggested that I do e-mail the support@focusinfo.com.

Focus quickly sent
HDFileConverterUpdater_v1.2.dmg
and a document explaining the bug and the fix.

This worked perfectly! No downloading of pacifist, no searching for and deleting components and QT libraries (which didn't work for our shop and led to having to reinstall FCP), no downgrading needed, or OS reinstallation!
=)

Return to posts index

Tin Tin
on Jul 7, 2012 at 7:33:13 am

This solution helped me! Thank you.

It worked perfectly once, with osx 10.6. But then the problem reappeared, probably because of some other update. Then I updated to lion. Now I replaced the file (QuicktimeComponent) again, but Quicktime still doesn't play the HDV files. Should it also be possible to get rid of the problem in this way with lion? Or what can I do? I have to cut a film in Final Cut with this files.

Thanks for any help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]