MAC OS X: Forum

External drives no longer recognized when imac OS is reloaded from scratch, please advise

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark SuszkoExternal drives no longer recognized when imac OS is reloaded from scratch, please advise
by on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:17:18 pm

One of my kids borked the old iMac G4 PPC and I had to nuke the drives and reinstall everything from scratch. I installed OS9, then OS10, then the 10.1.5 updater and the 10.4.11 updater. All is well except, the external firewire archive drive won't mount on the desktop now. The external DVD/CD burner on firewire works fine. Also, Running the Apple System profiler, the iMac does SEE there is an external firewire drive attached. But when i power-up, the iMac warns that this drive can;t be read, and it asks if I want to intialize it (HECK NO!), eject it, or continue while ignoring it.

This same thing happened with a USB thumb drive when I connected that. Since there wasn't anything vital on the thumb drive, I let the imac have it's way with it and reformat the thumb drive. It then worked normally and was seen on the desktop.

I can't do that with the external hard drive; it has years worth of archived files on it and all the family's itunes music.

What did I do wrong, do you think, or have I forgotten something? What should I do to solve this?

I have re-done the entire software re-loading sequence three times now, figuring maybe a wrong preference when it asks how I want to format the boot drive, Unix, macOS extended, or no opinion. No difference in result. This external drive worked fine for over a year now and I don't think there is a problem with it. I'm going to attach it to another computer just to check that assumption thought. I'm postive the trouble is in some setting or forgotten piece not yet loaded on the imac. Help?

Return to posts index

Conrad OlsonRe: External drives no longer recognized when imac OS is reloaded from scratch, please advise
by on Sep 20, 2011 at 11:28:15 pm

Is the drive NTFS? There is a plug-in I had to install to get them working properly with our Macs. I think that was only so we could write to them though. You should be able to read the disc without it.

---

conradolson.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]