MAC OS X: Forum

Repairing Disk Permissions not working

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Wright
Repairing Disk Permissions not working
on Sep 17, 2011 at 12:54:53 am

Until recently my system has always been as bulletproof as humanly possible. A crash every once in a while but definitely not an everyday occurrence. I have always tried to take good care of it by flushing the P ram regularly, and repairing my disk permissions often as well.

MACPRO
2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon
6gb Ram
Mac OSX 10.6.7
AJA Kona LHe Card
Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

After I started getting multiple crashes each dayI tried to repair the disk permissions and got an error message:

warning: suid file "system/library/coreservices/remotemanagement/ardagent.app/contents/macos/ardagent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Apple says that this is ok and can be ignored:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1448

In the past I would have a huge list of errors that were fixed each time and now I only get the above error message.

So maybe its ok to ignore this one error but it seems as if its not letting disk utility fix any of the other permission issues.

Note: I've also trashed my FCP preferences as well.

Is there a way to fix the error and get me back to my old trusty MACPRO?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Repairing Disk Permissions not working
on Sep 19, 2011 at 1:30:11 pm

ARDagent has always given that message, as it should. Remote Desktop has its own set of permissions which are not alterable by DU. You probably never noticed because it was hidden among all the other repair messages. It does not prevent further permissions repair in any way. That doesn't solve your problem, though.

You don't mention DiskWarrior in your post, which is probably the most important tool to keeping a sleek system. DW should be run whenever the system acts up a bit, or on any maintenance schedule you run. It corrects errors in the databases that DU can't. It also has S.M.A.R.T. and permissions repair utilities so you can do all your disk checking in one place. DW must be run from another boot drive to work but comes with its own bootable DVD.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]