MAC OS X: Forum

WD Caviar Black HD - beachball

COW Forums : Apple OS X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noa chan
WD Caviar Black HD - beachball
on Aug 20, 2011 at 1:42:27 pm

Hello,

Let me preface this by saying I'm not the most technologically gifted person, but I am a video editor and have successfully put together external hard drives before to edit HD (specifically AVCHD) video footage.

So I just bought a new WD Caviar Black 1TB hard drive (WD1002FAEX). I am using this solely as a scratch disk for video footage. When I play back clips (QT mov files ) QT will give me the beach ball quite quickly into the clip. Then I just have to force quite QT. Even w/ smaller clips (~250mb).
Then if I try to access another clip on the HD, I get the "Disk was not ejected properly message.
Have tried formatting this drive as both Journaled and not Journaled. It's GUID partitioned.
I'm on a MBP 17" running 10.6.5.
Connecting the drive to my MBP17" via an Express card SATA II 3Gb/s.

Not sure what I've done wrong.... do I need to format this in a special way?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: WD Caviar Black HD - beachball
on Aug 21, 2011 at 1:49:49 pm

what resolution are you working at ? If you pick uncompressed HD, a single drive is not
fast enough, and you will get the beach ball.

Try a low res, like DVCProHD, or ProRes422, and see if that works. I assume you used disk utility
to format your drive OS X Extended Journaled, and used Repair Disk in Disk Utility to make sure the drive is working. Run the free AJA System Test to check the speed of your drive.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]